Greetings from all of us at Hank Lee’s Magic Factory. Oh, me oh, my, this was the week that was.
Everything was looking bright and sunny. The weather people predicted snow for Saturday night. But, what could they possible know? It was the 29th of October and it had been nice and warm almost all month. Snow? What a joke. Sadly, the joke was on us.
It started to snow on Saturday afternoon. The lights flickered a little bit early Saturday evening. Then, they flickered again. Then, at 11:00 PM, the power went out completely. Oh, poo!
Sunday morning the power was still off, but it was such a beautiful sunny day, the storm was behind us and I figured, what the heck? A day without power? We can handle it. How wrong I was. We had no power Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday until late in the evening.
No heat; No computer; No TV, No lights; No Electric Blanket. It was dark, cold and generally depressing on the home front. We decided to tough it out on Sunday night and sleep in the cold. Brrrrr. Monday, we stayed at Bonnie’s father’s condo, from which he was in the process of being moved. Big sign on the front door: No Dogs. We had to sneak Bones in for the night, and for once he really behaved himself. I like a dog that rises to the occasion.
You will be happy to know that I made no less than 15 calls to our electric supplier, NStar. To say that they were less than helpful would be far too kind. Apparently the management geniuses decided that it made more sense to get the little towns with 4 or 5 homes without power up and running before they worked on the towns with thousands of people without power. I spent time on both Sunday and Monday looking all around our town for NStar trucks. Want to know how many I saw? Sure you do. Zero. There was not a truck to be found. I can only say that you are lucky I wasn’t calling you to complain about the situation.
But, we have power again, so it’s all good.
I should mention that today, the 4th of November, marks the 27th year that Bonnie and I are married. It’s been an exciting 27 years to say the least. With any luck at all, we’ll make it another 27 years!
I was very sorry to hear about the fire at the Magic Castle this week. Thankfully it was contained very quickly, with no serious damage. The Castle is set to open tonight with business as usual.
And, that’s all the news I have for you this week. Let’s take a peek at this week’s excitement!
POST APOCALYPSE SALES EVENT: The lights. The heat. The computer. All gone in a wink. Then, just a few long days later, all back! And, I am in a celebratory mood! So, for the next four days, from the very moment you receive this email until Monday evening at midnight. We are having our very first 35-30 Post Apocalypse Event.
* For the first 24 hours, from Friday morning, the 4th of November until Saturday morning, the 5th of November, everything (well, almost everything) is on sale at 35% off the retail price.
* From Saturday morning until Monday, November 7th at midnight, the discount changes to 30% off, which is still a fabulous deal!
All you need to do is enter the special code LIGHTSON in the Discount Coupon Box of the online checkout at www.magicfact.com and we will automatically deduct the discount from your order total.
If you are calling your order in to the Toll Free Order Line at 800 874 7400, FAXing your order to us at 781 395 2034 or emailing us your order to email@example.com make sure and mention the special code so you can save like crazy
Now, here are the rules:
* The minimum order to get the discount is $30.00.
* The discount is deducted from the retail price of the item. No intermediate discounts (such as HankoGram pricing) may be applied. In the case of sets, such as DVDs and Videos, the discount is deducted from the retail price of each item and not from the set price.
* We cannot combine offers.
* Certain items, due to contractual restrictions, are not included in this sale. All Viking/CW items, Kennedy Enterprises items, Colin Rose items, Mike Caveney Books, theory11 items, Johnson Products items, MagicSmith items, Greater Magic Teach-In DVDs, One Of A Kind Collectors' Items and a few other items are not included in the sale.
* If you place an order for an item that is not on this list or not noted in our online catalog, but is excluded from the sale, we will let you know before processing your order.
* Promotional Gift Certificates, Coupons and Reward Points may not be used as part of this sales event.
* As the discount is automatically generated, you must put the special code LIGHTSON in the Discount Coupon Box and nowhere else. You may have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the box, but it is there. If you are not sure how to do this, please phone your order in to our toll-free order line at 800 874 7400, and we will take care of you. We cannot offer discounts retroactively.
And that's it. It could not be easier. So, get your order together and save yourself some serious money! But, act quickly. The sale positively ends Monday at midnight, EST. Enjoy!
Now, let’s take a look at this week’s Hotlist!
(1) Pure Smoke: People have been raving over the sleek black system since it was introduced at MagicLive. Pure Smoke has won praise and acclaim from some of the world’s best magical minds: David Copperfield, Cyril Takayama, Nathan Burton, Jeff McBride, Jonathan Pendragon, Michael Weber, Bill Malone, Mathieu Bich, Eric Jones, Daniel Garcia, Calen Morelli... the list goes on and on.
The video demo only shows a few of the tricks you can perform with Pure Smoke. You can come up with so many more! Make smoke pour from some guy's jacket, or out of a lady’s purse!
Of course the power of Pure Smoke is in using it to heighten the effects that you already perform.
* Very, very safe water-like vapor. No harmful or corrosive chemicals.
* Instantly repeatable. No reset.
* 11 White smoke cartridges included, over 850 puffs of smoke.
* Made from the finest laboratory grade material for superior performance and extra-long life.
* Each cartridge delivers 80 large puffs of thick, vaporous smoke.
* Extra hookup included to pull sleeves up and show hands empty.
* Extra hookup included to perform sleeveless.
* Includes access to a downloadable video (by the creator) with performance ideas, tips, tricks, maintenance and care .
* Ergonomic design for comfort and prolonged use.
* Clean, easy and very practical to operate. Easy to put on;wear it all day.
* Reliable. Exceptionally low maintenance.
* Extended Warranty that covers any unit defects.
* Ages 18 and older only.
The Pure Smoke system is a major upgrade over virtually every smoke delivery system on the market for good reason: It's more compact, easy to use, economic and the smoke it delivers is mystical and mysterious — it looks like it's straight out of a computer-animated fantasy .
Requires 4 AA batteries, not included
"After my show I was mobbed by the magicians wanting to know how I created the smoke..." - Jonathan Pendragon
"This is it. This is the type of smoke I've waited my whole life for." - Eric Jones
(2) Compressed Deck: When your pockets are full, it's time to crack open your Compressed Deck.
The Compressed Deck allows you to perform a transformation to any four cards under the cleanest and most impossible of conditions. It's visual magic at its absolute best. Uses no Elmsley counts or complex moves. You can alter the set to transform to any four cards of your choosing.
Plus…The Compressed Deck includes Luke Dancy's bonus routine to produce a full deck of cards! A perfect and surprising opener to any close up set!
All the necessary cards
The custom Compressed Deck holder
A detailed instructional DVD
(3) Confetti Shooter – Vernet: Show your hands clearly empty. Make a magical gesture, and immediately produce a shower of confetti!
You receive a very special gimmick.
No sleeves are required.
Do it anywhere, anytime.
Note: Coming in stock very soon. Pre-order now and we will pay the shipping!
(4) Spirit Bell – Electronic: A question asked, an answer given and a bell mysteriously rings.
For centuries, this mystic event has taken place in parlors throughout the world.
The Spirit Bell is one of the most heart stopping effects in magic.
The bell sits on the table in full view of everyone. As a question is asked and answered, the bell, without a hand touching it, rings out confirming the answer is a lie or a truth.
* Solid Brass Bell
* Attractive Acrylic Base
* Small Attaché Case Included
* Electronic - Remote Controlled
(5) Knife Through Coat – Dave Powell: Includes two specially gimmicked knives and a gimmicked target !
Have a spectator examine a knife then borrow the spectator's coat and ask him to hold it up straight.
Placing a piece of newspaper with a target over the front of the coat, you take the knife and thrust it through the coat and the target.
To the spectator’s relief and surprise, the coat is perfectly unharmed!
Extremely easy to perform and may be done close-up and surrounded.
“I have been fooling people with this routine for 30 years” - Dave Powell
(6) Nut Waltz – Mariano Goni: A truly magical routine.
Originally created by Marc Jacobs and one of the favorites of Vernon, the Walnuts and Glass routine remained in the shadows until some years ago, when Brian O'Neill rediscovered it and the necessary materials were available to perform it.
Mariano Goñi has rebuilt the routine, making it a true mystery, by changing the cover concept and improving the gimmicks.
The DVD explains in full detail both the sitting down and stand-up versions, and also gives a simple routine and shows different ways to make the vanishes.
Final loads are also covered if you need a strong finish.
With the materials provided, no matter your skill level, you can perform a miracle!
Every gimmick is hand-made by Mariano, ensuring high quality.
Comes complete with:
Normal Matching Glass
(7) Stage Card Manipulation – Eduardo Galeano: This DVD contains all the secrets you need to know to take your card manipulation skills to the next level of excellence. It is the first time that these techniques are revealed and explained step by step to the magic community. The art of card manipulation has evolved and you can be part of this movement
Romany Deck Routine
Multiple Perfect Production
Spread Fingers Opening
Hidden Card Moves
Multiple Spinning Production
Multiple Tenkai Production
Card Roll Down Production
"Eduardo Galeano has created many new exciting ideas and amazing card productions. In this well produced DVD, he shares his award winning techniques! His innovations will add refreshing new life to your card magic." - Jeff McBride, Creator of the Magic and Mystery School, Las Vegas
(8) Origamagic: Ask a spectator to choose a card from a deck that can be examined if desired. You lose the card in the deck and hand the card case for examination.
Place the deck in the case and put it away. If desired, the spectator himself can place the deck in the case and keep it during the whole routine.
Now, it’s magic!
Take a sheet of paper and fold it several times.
You’re going to make a dozen different figures while telling a lovely story.
* A crown
* A duck
* A fox
* A hen
* A boat
* A bark
* The polar star
* A corsair cabin
* The cabin switch
And, at the end a magic box in which is found the selected card!
An attractive routine all ages, created by Ludovic Toulouse!
Ideal to reveal a selection.
Delivered with the special paper, 6 different cards and the detailed routine.
Easy to perform.
(9) Sly News Tear – Tony Clark: Sly News Tear has the slickness of the Slydini Tear and the climax power of the Gene Anderson Tear!
Easy To Perform
Show both sides of newspaper cleanly before and after routine
Flash restoration ending
Quick and easy to make
Live performance demo of Tony Clark performing on stage for his Masters of Magic show in Lake Tahoe
Plus! A Bonus Segment That Includes:
A second killer routine
Ideas and variations presentation and handling
Never before revealed secrets on how to insure the paper tears properly
On this DVD Tony gives detailed step by step clear explanations of each element from selecting the right newspaper to making the gimmick to performing this powerful routine.
This is one of the most thoroughly explained and simplified Newspaper Tears on the market today.
(10) Spider Confetti Cannon: If you are looking for a great finale for your show, if you want to add a great effect using only a small piece of 100% safe Flash Cotton, you need a Spider Confetti Cannon.
The Mexican magician Spider invented an incredible and easy system to make a safe explosion of paper.
You receive a professional device and special components to produce about 400 paper explosions. You can use it on stage, inside a house, outside, everywhere you perform.
Made in black color aluminum, small, practical and super professional. Another creation of Tango Magic
Great for snowstorm finale.
Great for kids and adult shows!
Great addition to a Snake Basket!
Supply your own confetti and Flash Cotton.
(11) Pop-Coin – David Ethan: An easy technique to fake any type of coin shell, even the Chinese coins with a hole! In 8 to 10 seconds, the fake coin shell automatically separates itself from the coin it contains. It can be performed in the spectator’s hand, on the table or in the magician’s hand.
It allows easily performing otherwise impossible effects, or effects that require difficult manipulations: A coin travels from the magician’s hand to the spectator’s hand; A coin passes through matter; Matrix; Coin Monte, and more!
The technique is described in detail on the DVD with 9 possible applications. There are many more possible with this gimmick!
And, that’s this week’s Power On Hotlist. An exceptional collection of new magic, if I do say so myself!
As always, I want to personally thank you for taking timeout from your busy schedules to visit us here at Hank Lee’s. Whether it’s online at www.magicfact.com or in person at 102 North Street in Medford, we do love the company!