Greetings from all of us at Hank Lee’s Magic Factory. Hurricane Irene. A lousy beginning to what has turned out to be a beautiful week. Our friends at Weather.com tracked the storm perfectly. Right up the coast. Batten down the hatches. Get everything off the deck. Tie the kids to the mizzen mast (whatever that is). It’s going to be a hurricane like days of old. And it was, if you lived further down the coast. New York, New Jersey, North Carolina all got belted. Further North, in Vermont, there was horrendous flooding. Here in the Boston area, we got a bunch of rain and some high-ish winds. Irene had already been downgraded to a Tropical Storm by the time she hit. The most damage was to trees. Some big old trees got uprooted and there were tree branches everywhere. As a result, power outages abounded. Some folks still don’t have power. For me, I always feel like I lost power on the 4th of November, 1984. And, it’s not coming back any time soon. At home, the lights went out at 7:45 AM, made a brief reappearance at 10:30 AM, then were out again until around 6:00 PM, when the electricity returned for good. In time to watch True Blood, which is a very big deal in our house.
I remember when we were kids, and lived within walking distance of the big, mean Atlantic Ocean. In those days, we had really nasty hurricanes. Big winds. Big rains. And, I had to walk ten miles to school in those storms, all the way uphill. Both ways. My father used to take us to the beach in those crazy storms, to see the monster waves. We would stand in one of the pavilions and watch the waves crash against the concrete wall that separated the beach from the boulevard. Wow! It was totally amazing. Of course, being a little kid, the waves seemed even bigger. I always wondered why our Dad didn’t tie us to the mizzen mast. Now, I know why.
Enough weather and reminiscing. This has been a very nice week here in Hank Lee Nation. We came in Monday morning and the basement was dry. Yippee! One less cleanup. Typical of this time of the summer, we were not overwhelmed by orders, which gave me a chance to look ahead to some projects that have been on the back burner for a while. I will let you know as they come closer.
This weekend, the whole family is heading down to Maryland for my Nephew Arthur’s wedding. I remember when he was just a little baby. Now, he is the giant of the family and is getting married. This wedding will be fun!
This weekend is also Labor Day weekend. So, everyone who has ever worked a day in their lives will benefit from this week’s excitement. Everyone else, too! Read on, my friends…
Labor Day Sales Event: We here at Hank Lee’s want to send a great big “Thank You” to those who work so hard to keep the wheels of industry turning! So, for the next five days, from the very moment you receive this email until Tuesday evening at midnight, everything (well, almost everything) is on sale at 30% off the retail price. All you need to do is enter the special code LABORDAY in the Discount Coupon Box of the online checkout at www.magicfact.com and we will automatically deduct 30% from your order total. If you are calling your order in to the Toll Free Order Line at 800 874 7400, FAXing your order to us at 781 395 2034 or emailing us your order to firstname.lastname@example.org make sure and mention the special code so you can save a huge 30%!
Now, here are the rules:
• The minimum order to use the 30% off discount is $30.00.
• The 30% is deducted from the retail price of the item. No intermediate discounts (such as HankoGram pricing) may be applied. In the case of sets, such as DVDs and Videos, the 30% is deducted from the retail price of each item and not from the set price.
• We cannot combine offers.
• Certain items, due to contractual restrictions, are not included in this sale. All Viking/CW items, Kennedy Enterprises items, Colin Rose items, Mike Caveney Books, Johnson Products items, MagicSmith items, Greater Magic Teach-In DVDs, One Of A Kind Collectors' Items and a few other items are not included in the sale.
• If you place an order for an item that is not on this list or not noted in our online catalog, but is excluded from the sale, we will let you know before processing your order.
• Promotional Gift Certificates, Coupons and Reward Points may not be used as part of this sales event.
• As the discount is automatically generated, you must put the special code LABORDAY in the Discount Coupon Box and nowhere else. You may have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the box, but it is there. If you are not sure how to do this, please phone your order in to our toll-free order line at 800 874 7400, and we will take care of you. We cannot offer discounts retroactively.
And that's it. It could not be easier. So, get your order together and save yourself some serious money! But, act quickly. The sale positively ends Tuesday at midnight, EDT. Enjoy!
Now, let’s take a look at this week’s Hotlist!
(1) The Magic Square – Luis de Matos: Already a runaway best seller! A professional Magic Square routine from the repertoire of Luis de Matos. Members of the audience call out numbers at random. Unbelievably, from these the performer is able to construct a perfect magic square. All the columns, rows, diagonals and corners add up to the same number. Not only that but this number was chosen by a spectator just a few moments earlier. No formulas. No memory work. An incredible mind-boggling routine for the professional worker.
Instructional DVD includes performance footage.
Bonus Feature: Luis de Matos' handling of the Instant Magic Square for impromptu work.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
(2) Signed Bill In Lemon – Scott Alexander: Scott Alexander has established a reputation as the "go to guy" on the bill in lemon effect. His breakout trick of 2004, "The Final Answer" (long out of print) is sought by many magicians "in the know."
Now, in this manuscript, Scott tips all the thoughts and inspirations that led up to “The Final Answer,” including his unique star trap work that can be put into any lemon in moments, allowing you to load a signed bill and have a spectator look right at the dirty work without seeing a thing.
Also featured in this volume are two full routines, one for close up and one for standing up on stage. The stage routine even works for walk around situations, it's that simple.
Scott includes valuable performance tips garnered during his tenure as a magician in residence at Bill Malone's magic bar in Boca Raton.
You will also learn vital psychology on how to really sell this miracle to the audience. Scott covers why a signed bill is the only way to go, and more importantly, how to get the $100, $50 or $20 dollar bill as a tip, if you are working in bar and restaurant situations.
Let Scott help you take your bill in lemon to the next level!
30 pages. 8.5" x 11." Softcover. Color cover, black and white photos.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
(3) Making The Birthday Dough 2.0 DVD – Ken Scott: Ken Scott has risen to the top of the magic world, and he is recognized as a leader in the kid show field.
On this DVD, you'll see a live performance of Ken's birthday show, including all the lines and bits that keep the audience in stitches!
Balloon fun, music, a floating birthday child, audience participation, sound system setup, bunny rabbit tips, Ken's Egg Bag finally revealed and the Fantasy Magician are just a few more of the goodies on this jammed packed DVD.
Ken is joined in conversation with Emmy Award Winning actor/entertainer Max Howard as they discuss marketing and the business end of birthday party shows.
(4) ESP Roulette – Ton Onosaka: Introduce several intriguing props: A large felt square on which is printed a circular chart with the numbers 1 through 16 in random order; a small cardboard square showing the numbers 1 through 16 in a grid formation; a dice-like cube, bearing a different ESP symbol on each side; an opaque paper cup, and a small spinner with an arrow.
Ask a spectator to drop the cube inside the cup and shake it up, then to invert the cup so that no one knows which symbol is now on top.
The spectator now places the spinner in the center of the circular chart, and spins it.
When the rotation stops, the number to which the arrow points is noted.
Remembering the randomly chosen number, the mat is turned over only to find that symbol showing on the die and the symbol at the numbered position chosen by the spinner match exactly!
Can be repeated with a different outcome. Entirely under your control.
(5) Rematch - DVD and Gimmick - Caleb Wiles:
3 Knockout Routines.
Reworked. Refined. Reloaded.
Two years ago Vanishing Inc.introduced you to Caleb Wiles through his universally-acclaimed booklet, High Spots. Now Wiles is back with three of his most outstanding inventions.
26!: Quite simply, the strongest effect Caleb has ever devised. He closes his shows with this trick. As a bonus, Caleb explains Mark Tams' "M.A.T.E.", a coincidence effect from a shuffled deck that makes the perfect lead-in to "26!"
Reswindled: The trick that amazed Paul Harris, Joshua Jay, and everyone else who saw it! Heralded as the best version of the classic "Reset" ever. Explained here in great detail including alternate switches, counts, and endings. Plus, Caleb teaches Jack Carpenter's "South Street Swindle," an underground hit appearing here for the first time.
All Signs Point to Yes: This entertaining walk-around piece allows you to change a card three times, all in pursuit of a selection. No table is required, and the presentation is a worker's dream.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
"Caleb Wiles is the real deal. His methods are devious, his presentations are clever and fun, and he's got loads of natural ability." - David Williamson
(6) Triabolical – John Bannon & Liam Montier: Bannon and Montier expose three cutting edge Fractal Packet Tricks!
B'rainiac: Four-Card Brainwave On Hallucinogens
Short Attention Spin: Radical Reconstruction, Re-engineering and Reconstruction
Montinator 5.0: The Monte, Locked, Loaded, and In-Your-Face
"Bannon and Montier hit the trifecta with Triabolical. It's scary what you get when you combine Bannon's mastery and Montier's devious young mind. This amazing trio of effects takes Bannon's Bullet Party Count to new heights. All three tricks are cunning, practical and surprising as hell." -John Guastaferro
(7) Psionic – Jason Palter: The physical manifestation of a thought!
Get ready for a blister trick that is unlike any other on the market. The advantage of Psionic is that ESP symbols are used in this version. By utilizing these shapes, you are able to easily establish a very plausible psychic connection with your spectator, convincing them that they have just truly witnessed a paranormal event!
The Psionic gimmick is super-easy to use, and allows you to cause any of the 5 standard ESP symbols to appear on your finger. When dealing with the supernatural realm there are infinite presentation possibilities.
Here's a sample of one of the many mind-blowing effects:
Display a packet of 5 ESP cards and explain to the spectator that you are going to perform a thought experiment. The spectator shuffles the cards, and randomly selects one card to memorize - there is no force.
Explain the power of thought, and the subsequent energy exchanges that take place within the brain whenever you have a thought.
Tell the spectator that you are going to utilize the chemical and energetic power of their thought, and attempt to divine the symbol they chose.
Enlighten your audience to the fact that everyone possesses a third eye, also known as the "inner eye." However, not everyone has developed the ability to use it. Explain that you would like to see if the spectator can use theirs; maybe their third eye could project their thoughts!
Touching the spectator's forehead in the spot of their third eye, you ask them to focus their thoughts to that area.
Suddenly you pull back from their head and request that they look at your finger. They will see that the transferred energy of their thought has eerily shifted itself onto your fingertip, manifesting into the shape of their chosen ESP symbol!
You can use business cards or pieces of paper with your own hand-drawn symbols if you prefer - there is no force!
Comes with custom Psionic gimmick, ESP cards, ball chain for optional key-ring attachment, and instructional DVD complete with bonus presentation ideas.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
(8) New Concepts In Illusion Design – William Roy Penix: If new illusions and new methods are what you are looking for, this is the book to have. Nine brand new, never-before-seen concepts are detailed with extensive illustrations and descriptions by the author. Contained within the 74 pages are "The Last Moment," "The No Seam Sub Trunk," "Nowhere to Hide," "Bait and Switch," "The Lotus Position," "Tea for One," "Fish Can't Lie," "The Guest Star" and "Too Far". As a bonus, Mr. Penix includes a thought provoking treatise on magic as an art.
This is not a book of familiar illusions. It's a book for the future with illusions that you have never seen or even thought of before. It's not just a book of props, it's a book of presentations and props. A book that will inspire and encourage the professional illusionist to build and perform its contents. This book will take illusions and illusion thinking to an all new level. It's a must for your illusion library.
77 pages. 8.5" x 11." Black and white photos, plans and drawings
(9) Urban Legend – Michael Paul: Brand new and perfect for your Halloween shows!
In the classic Razor Blade Trick, the magician swallows a number of ultra-sharp razor blades, then regurgitates them tied together on a length of string.
Now comes Urban Legend. Do the classic razor blade routine without the danger. Do it close up. Do it on the street. Do it behind the bar, or surrounded, or on the largest stage! This is the real work on one of the most awesome, show stopping routines in existence.
This package comes complete. It's a full act with every detail well thought out, and ready to make it's way into your working set.
* A customized, royalty-free soundtrack!
* Full performance shot in HD!
* A set of lecture notes to follow along with video
* A complete, highly detailed "lecture style" instructional video (over an hour long!)
* A separate pdf, with the complete script!
"Michael Paul has given new life to the razor blade trick. This routine is theatrically driven and is a compelling piece of performance. It would be a great addition to just about anyone's working repertoire." - Todd Robbins
(10) Strange Travelers: Available once again! This is David Blaine's single favorite effect. The actual deal-closer David used for most of his professional career. It helped him close the deal on his first Network T.V. special: Street Magic.
Show someone a batch of twenty cards. All different.
Give her ten of the cards to hold.
Now, have her just think of one of the remaining ten cards. She never says a word. No one except her knows what card she's thinking of.
The ten cards are counted again. Strangely, there are now only nine. The one card she'd been thinking of has vanished! She's still only thinking of her card; it's never been named out loud!
She counts the other ten cards she's been holding; ten cards you haven't touched since the beginning. But now she has eleven cards! The strange traveler has arrived. Her thought-of card is now staring her in the face!
Strange Travelers is a streamlined version of a classic effect that was Nate Leipzig's favorite over 75 years ago. Other variations have come and gone. David re-discovered this hidden gem, and the rest is history.
And the really good news: Blaine's favorite effect is extremely easy to do.
No palming. No difficult moves. Just a simple elegant handling that just about anyone can learn.
Complete with Paul Harris' revised gimmick and routines, which includes a version where you start and finish with a normal deck.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
And that’s this week's I Know It’s The End of Summer But This Stuff Is Mighty Hot Hotlist! Some of the best stuff we have received all summer long!
So, check it out and send us a nice Labor Day order. With the big Labor Day Event, there is no reason not to!
As always, thank you so much for finding time to spend with us here at Hank Lee’. Whether it’s online at www.magicfact.com or in person at 102 North Street in Medford, we sure do love your company!