Greetings from all of us at Hank Lee’s Magic Factory. Despite the fact that the temperature outside is in the 90s, I can tell you that summer is over. Here are the telltale signs. Bonnie is back from Martha’s Vineyard with all of her stuff, and Bones in tow. Lucas has headed back to college, and hold onto your hats, this is his Junior year. He’ll be 21 in a month! This is the first year that Aron is not headed back to college. He is graduating and returning to the real world. The empty nest is a little less empty, for the moment.
Plus this is Labor Day Weekend. A time to thank those who come to work every day and get the job done. Management thanks you. So, take Monday off. Use the day to buy magic. From Hank Lee’s of course!
Now that summer is winding down, it’s time to start thinking about all those Halloween shows, coming up in just a few short weeks. Being the marketing wizards that we are, we have our Halloween Magic Shop up online and waiting for you! Go to the front page at www.magicfact.com and click on the pumpkin with my face carved into it. You will be taken to a fabulous collection of Halloween Magic. And, really, now is the time to think about what you’d like to add to your show!
We have a really good deal for you from our old friend Andrew Mayne. If you buy one of his Tear Down effects, one of the neatest torn and restored newspaper effect on the market, you can have one of Andrew’s Infusion, a $15.00 value, for just $4.50! It’s a great deal, on two great tricks. As you might imagine, this is a very limited time offer, so act right away! Once you have put Tear Down in your cart, go to Infusion and add it for $4.50.
Since this is the end of summer and all, we have come up with a very special excitement, just for you!
Annual Labor Day Sales Event: We here at Hank Lee’s want to send a great big “Thank You” to those who work so hard to keep the wheels of industry turning! So, for the next four days, from the very moment you receive this email until Monday evening at midnite, everything (well, almost everything) is on sale at 30% off the retail price. All you need to do is enter the special code LABORDAY in the Discount Coupon Box of the online checkout at www.magicfact.com and we will automatically deduct 30% from your order total. If you are calling your order in to the Toll Free Order Line at 800 874 7400, FAXing your order to us at 781 395 2034 or emailing us your order to email@example.com make sure and mention the special code so you can save a huge 30%!
Now, here are the rules:
• The minimum order to use the 30% off discount is $30.00.
• The 30% is deducted from the retail price of the item. No intermediate discounts (such as HankoGram pricing) may be applied. In the case of sets, such as DVDs and Videos, the 30% is deducted from the retail price of each item and not from the set price.
• We cannot combine offers.
• Certain items, due to contractual restrictions, are not included in this sale. All Viking/CW items, Kennedy Enterprises items, Colin Rose items, Mike Caveney Books, Johnson Products items, MagicSmith items, Greater Magic Teach-In DVDs, One Of A Kind Collectors' Items and a few other items are not included in the sale.
• If you place an order for an item that is not on this list or not noted in our online catalog, but is excluded from the sale, we will let you know before processing your order.
• Promotional Gift Certificates, Coupons and Reward Points may not be used as part of this sales event.
• As the discount is automatically generated, you must put the special code LABORDAY in the Discount Coupon Box and nowhere else. You may have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the box, but it is there. If you are not sure how to do this, please phone your order in to our toll-free order line at 800 874 7400, and we will take care of you. We cannot offer discounts retroactively.
And that's it. It could not be easier. So, get your order together and save yourself some serious money! But, act quickly. The sale positively ends Monday at midnight, EDT. Enjoy!
Now, let’s take a look at this week’s Hotlist!
(1) FlightCase – Peter Eggink: From the creative mind of Peter Eggink comes FlightCase, the cleanest signed card to card case!
Any card is selected and signed by the spectator. Next, you show the card case to be completely empty (it really is). Place the card case between the spectator’s hands.
Suddenly, the signed card visually disappears, only to be found inside the card case that was shown empty just seconds ago. It all happens in the hands of the spectator and everything may be fully examined afterwards.
Forget what you know about other card to card case effects - FlightCase is the one you want to perform, every time!
The brand new method is diabolically clever and will fool even the most experienced magicians!
The full training DVD will guide you step by step through performing the routine, sleights and techniques. Available in red or blue back cards. Please specify
What people are saying about FlightCase:
"A simple yet ingenious utility - Peter Eggink has a bit of the devil inside him!" - David Regal
"Flightcase looks perfect - clever, clever, clever" - Jay Sankey
(2) Animate Me DVD – Losander: In the world of magic the name Losander is synonymous with the art of levitation.
World renowned across five continents, Losander has performed his magic in exclusive venues from Europe to Japan to Australia. In 2006, Losander received the Milbourne Christopher Award for Illusionist of the Year and Notable Contribution to the Art of Magic. In 2010 he received the Merlin Award for Best Classic Magician of the Year.
On this DVD, Losander will teach you the essence of his work over the last 30 years. He will teach you never before revealed secrets in the Art of Levtiation and especially all of his highlights in close up, parlor and stage magic. If you already bought the Art of Levitation DVD, you will recognize some of the effects but you will still learn new effects and new methods to accomplish these magical miracles.
A must have for anyone who wants to bring his magic to the next level. After you learn these effects, you will know all the hidden ins and outs of what makes Losander's magic so unique and magical.
Some of the teachings include:
How to animate objects in the most magical way
What you have to project in order to make levitation real
Impromptu levitation effects, so you can show real magic in daily life
Bring your magic to the next level and entertain your audience with real levitation miracles.
(3) Die Illusion: In stock for immediate shipment! One of our best-selling items, ever!
Take out a die with all blank spots, and a mirror. Let the audience examine both. Everything is normal. Explain how people make dice and explain that you can make a die with a mirror.
When you place the die next to the mirror, the die itself doesn't show any color, but the die in the mirror does! Next, make the die full of color, but this time, the die in the mirror is blank!
Finally, you remove the die from the mirror; you now have two dice!
• 1 Normal Die
• 1 All White Die
• Specially Gimmicked Die
• Small mirror and Instructions.
(4) The Nail Writer Anthology – Thomas Baxter: The nail writer is, ounce-for-ounce, the most powerful tool in the mentalist's arsenal. This book, compiled and edited by Thomas Baxter, is packed with routines, ideas and uses for this secret device. Many of these come from top name contributors such as Marc Salem, Barrie Richardson, James Randi, Hector Chadwick, Patrick Redford, Jim Magus, Raymond Carlyle, David Alexander, Andrew Gerard, Eric Mason, Patrick Kuffs and others. Detailed instructions for making different nail writers (Boons, Swami, etc.) are also provided. And the book contains the first truly comprehensive history of the nail writer. The definitive work on the nail writer, destined to become a classic in mentalism literature!
194 pages. Hardbound. $50.00 (BK01728)
(5) Comedy Multiplying Bottles – Reg Donnelley & Paul Romhany: Introducing two of the most original and entertaining routines for the Multiplying Bottles by two completely different styles of performers.
Reg Donnelly has been performing his version of the Multiplying Bottles for over 25 years. During that time he has created an ending that takes this classic of magic to an entirely new level. Paul Romhany performs his full evening show as Charlie Chaplin and created a very unique routine using the Donnelly bottless. Both performers have honed their routines on cruise ships and theaters around the world and bring to the magic world one of the most comprehensive pieces of work on the Multiplying Bottless.
This package includes a DVD with live performances by Donnelly and Romhany, each with their own routines and an in-depth explanation by each performer covering the nuances that make their routines work in the real world of professional magicians.
You also get the Donnelly set of Multiplying Bottles, the first time these have been released to the magic community. Each bottle is hand painted by Donnelly himself to match the set he and Paul Romhany are using, allowing you to perform this original kicker ending.
You will get a CD-ROM featuring the audio voice-over used by Paul Romhany for his hilarious routine.
If you have ever wanted to perform the Multiplying Bottles but were waiting for something new and different, this is it! If you already own a set of Multiplying Bottles, you will want to change to these bottles and take your routine to a new level.
Includes 9 bottles, 2 tubes and DVD. $495.00 (60.1689)
(6) The Complete MagiGram CDRom: The MagiGram ran for twenty-seven years. It started with the first issue in September 1966 and ended in February 1995. There were a total of 22,329 pages, and every single page is available on this at the click of a button.
Almost every well-known magician from those years made some form of contribution to the magazine including Billy McComb who had an inspiring regular column.
The magazine started life as a vehicle for advertisements for the Supreme Magic Company but soon developed into a proper magazine that many magicians took out on subscription.
Every branch of magic from close up to illusions was covered and it was one of the most popular UK magic magazines ever. $79.95 (BK01727)
(7) Alchemy Deck: The newest Bicycle deck from U.S. Playing Card Company. Alchemy 1977 England Deck is a deck of full color playing cards featuring 53 classic Alchemy Gothic Artworks on each card. Click on the photo for a sample view of the cards. $6.00 (30.1522)
(8) Dai Vernon Wand: This Limited Edition Wand by Joe Porper is engraved with Dai Vernon's portrait. This tribute wand unscrews in two like a pool cue and includes a custom leather case. Every wand Joe makes is a work of art. Considered to be one of the finest cue makers on the planet, Joe has brought his years of experience in this field to the magic world. Using techniques learned and developed while making intricately beautiful cues, Joe crafts each wand with care to produce perfectly balanced wands in unique styles. Any magician serious about his craft deserves a genuine Porper wand. $225.00 (701003)
(9) Star Gazer: Star Gazer now comes with a step by step instructional DVD.
After performing Crazy Man’s Handcuffs or any other rubber band effects, offer to show your spectator one last trick.
Using the same two rubber bands, you make several different shapes. The shapes are all pretty cool.
Finally you make the shape of a star. Then one of the bands visually changes shape and becomes a real star shaped rubber band.
This band can be given out for examination or as a souvenir.
10 stars per pack. Comes with instructional DVD.
Easy to do. No reset. Looks amazing.
(10) X-Ray – Ben Harris & Steve Shufton: “When I was young, my uncle Peter fooled me badly with a simple X-Ray Vision stunt. It played serious havoc with my developing mind. Pete had been using his X-Ray Vision to "see through" the table top in order to identify how many fingers I was holding aloft. He hit it time and time again. I was later crushed, when dad explained that he'd simply been coding the information, to my uncle, via surreptitious foot tapping. In due course it was I who was performing the demonstration, and I've been fascinated with the X-Ray Vision plot ever since.”
“Secretly, I have always wanted a "casual" demonstration of these supposed powers-something that could be performed with any deck of cards, at any time! And, that's exactly what we have here, in the X-Ray Deck Steve Shufton has done a wonderful job, completely solving the problem - creating a practical, perform-anywhere solution for the effect. He's then gone on to clearly and concisely detail every nuance of his clever and direct method.”
The XRay Effect:
The performer removes a deck from the case and gives it a complete shuffle. He thumbs through the deck to demonstrate that all the cards are different, and the deck is complete. Placing the deck on the table, he instructs the spectator that he will leave the room. While the performer is gone, the spectator is to cut the deck anywhere with a simple cut, turn the card cut to face up, memorize the card, and put the cut off portion back on the deck, leaving the selection face up. The spectator is then to take the deck, put it in the case and seal the case, leave the cased deck on the table, and signal the magician to return to the room. The performer leaves the room, the spectator does as instructed and the performer returns.
The performer explains that he has developed an uncanny ability to see the hidden -almost a type of X-Ray vision. Without ever touching the case, the performer focuses an intense gaze on the boxed deck. Much to the astonishment of onlookers, he reveals the name of the card that has been inverted!
But now things get even crazier. He again focuses his gaze on the box, and finally calls out a number. Again, he never touches the box. He instructs the spectator to take the cards out of the box, and deal the cards one at a time onto the table face up, counting for each card dealt. Tension builds as the spectator nears the number called. When the number is reached, there is the spectator's face up card! Not only has the performer accurately perceived the chosen card in a deck sealed in a box, but he named the actual position of the card as well!
· All can be examined-the deck is found to be normal in every way.
· Once in the spectator's possession, the performer never touches the deck again.
· The deck is complete with 52 different cards-no duplicates.
· Any deck can be used, the effect can even be performed impromptu with a borrowed deck.
· No stooges, confederates, peeks, electronics or mirrors.
· No gaffs or gimmicks.
· No prepared box, the deck and box are real.
· Can be done one on one, or for a group of any size.
· Astonishing, strong impact mentalism at its finest!
Once you fully understand Steve's approach, you'll be able to perform The X-Ray Deck anywhere.
"X-RAY is an amazing effect that also entertains the audience. I know the professional performers, with dynamic personalities, will love X-RAY. However, I know X-ray will be a miracle, even when performed by average magicians, just for their friends." - Steve Dusheck
(11) Magic At The Bar DVD - Chris Randall: Learn killer magic to perform in front of or behind the bar .
Desert Rose - Torn and restored napkin rose.
7 digits - The greatest pick up trick ever !
The Exchange - A spectator’s business card and the magician’s card switch places in the spectator’s hands.
Coaster Card - A selected card and a coaster switch places in an instant.
Moonshine - A new twist on the old coin in bottle.
Vanishing Bottle - Chris' handling on the Neilsen vanishing bottle.
Martini - Chris' signature opener produce a martini piece by piece.
Champagne - Ice cubes are produced from the air ending with a production of a bottle of champagne.
(12) Reel Magic Episode 18 – Kostya Kimlat :
Kostya Kimlat Continuum
Andrew Pinard and Continuum returns with Kostya Kimlat! Kostya talks about designing magic tricks and asks "who cares?"
David Regal Tricks of the Trade
A lot of tricks with a big But! But! But!
Wayne Kawamoto Choice Cuts
Reviews Barrie Richardson and Wayne Dobson's new DVD's on stand up magic
Banachek explains the subtleties of a simple peek!
David Kaye a.k.a. Silly Billy Kid Show FUNdamentals
Talks about buying kid show tricks while touring the dealer room at the I.B.M. convention in San Diego
Simon Lovell - Simon Said It!
Simon says - it's time for magic to grow up!
David Roth Be My Guest
The palm to palm change - you've got to learn it
NEW! Jon Armstrong Sessions Los Angeles Part 1
Jon, Farrel Dillon, Joe Skilton, and Grant Carden discuss the merits of a Four Ace production in Part One of the Los Angeles session
Wayne Dobson "Nailed"
Robert Neale "Brick Wall"
Jay Noblezada "5 and 1 Transpo"
Rafael Benatar "Omicard"
Bill Palmer "little finger clip"
Alen Morelli "center double lift"
And that’s this week’s Hotlist. Great stuff. Great prices. The perfect combination. We suggest that you sleep late on Labor Day, then get up, check out all this great new stuff, and order it all. Or as much, as you like!
As always, we are humbled by the fact that you take time out of your busy schedules to spend some with us.
Whether you visit us online at www.magicfact.com or in person at our lovely showroom at 102 North Street Medford, believe me when I say that we love the company!