Greetings from all of us here at Hank Lee’s Magic Factory. It seems all I need to do is take a few days off, and we get busier than elfinly possible. Maybe I should take more days off? I know the elves think I should. I have a lot of material to go over this week, so I hope you have your notebooks and pencils ready.
As you remember, last week, I drove the Prius out to Oberlin, Ohio to pick up Lucas The Singing Son and bring him back home. The trip was long and boring. Gosh, I dislike driving on the Interstate. I think next time I will plan to take the back roads. It will take longer, but at least the scenery is more interesting. Anyway, the trip went by without a hitch, except for a stop at the McDonald’s on the New York Thruway. It’s a long story, and since the soap box is out for repair, I will save the story for another time.
This is Memorial Day Weekend. A day set aside for all of us to remember those who gave their lives in defense of freedom. We owe these brave men and women so much. No amount of thanks could ever be enough. But, we want to add our gratitude to that of the rest of the nation.
Memorial Day is also the traditional start of summer. I will have the delightful task of cleaning the grill after a winter of non-use. Hold on one second. Lucas is home. Grill cleaning is the perfect job for a just home from college kid. Oh, Lucas. Lucas. Lucas!!
I must tell you that last week I made an error in judgment. It happens all the time at home, but not so often at the Magic Factory. I listed Jay Crowe’s new item, the Elite Bending Coin in last week’s Hotlist. I had seen the video and looked at the photos and thought it was a very cool item. When the elves, especially Steve and Bob, watched the video, they pointed out what might be a serious flaw. The gimmicked coin, the one that bends, does not look enough like a real U.S. Quarter to pass muster. Jay is from Portugal. And, I am sure in Portugal it will pass for a real Quarter. As a matter of fact, in most of Europe, it will. Of course, it will be hard to borrow a U.S. Quarter in Europe. And, if you don’t borrow the coin, the effect is definitely diminished. Plus, even if you borrow the coin, you need to switch in the gimmick, do the bend, then switch out the gimmick. It is my opinion that the real Quarter and the gimmicked coin do not look enough alike to make the routine work. That said, I think the idea is cool. A coin bending right on the outstretched hand is great. I just don’t think the gimmicked coin will fool anyone who handles Quarters all the time. Remember, this is all my opinion. And, based on that, we decided to not carry the item. Of course, you can buy it elsewhere online. Just think before leaping.
In other news this week, we have secured the U.S. exclusive on Flink Key. This has been sold in Europe for the past six months and is creating a big buzz! It’s a precision machined key that does everything you ever wanted a gimmicked key to do. It is made in small batches, and by the time you get this, we will have the first batch in stock. I recommend that you check out the write-up in this week’s Hotlist and watch the video. I think it’s an item you will want!
Now, to this week’s excitement!
FREE SHIPPING EXTENDED: Until Friday, the 4th of June at midnight, we are offering free ground shipping on any order over $30.00 to anywhere in the US, including Alaska and Hawaii! Just enter the special code SHIPMEFREE in the Discount Coupon Box at the bottom of the first page of the online checkout at www.magicfact.com. We will happily pick up the ground shipping charges on your order. Of course, if you want your order sent Fedex Three Day (Express Saver), Second Day or Next Day, you will just have to pay the difference.
Note: Your email confirmation from our online system will still list the shipping as free, but we will charge the difference when we ship your order.
Overseas customers will save as well! We will pay one-half of the Air Post shipping charges on your orders until the 4th of June! Just remember to enter the special code SHIPMEFREE in the Discount Coupon Box, or let the person taking your phone order know when you place your order at 800 874 7400.
Now, let’s take a look at this week’s Hotlist
(1) Flink Key - Karl Bravosky: The Flink Key appears, vanishes, links, folds, flies and much more.
One precision-made key does it all
There are some Folding Keys on the market, but they don’t link.
There are some Linking Keys on the market, but they don’t fold.
There is only one key that will do both! Flink Key.
And, it will do much more! Like the Flink Key Fly!
To perform everything this key can do, you would need to buy 3 different keys, and spend a great deal of money.
With Flink Key, you will need only one key!
Some of the effects you can perform:
• Key in Bottle
• Key thru Ring
• Key and Handkerchief
• Key and 2 Rings
• Key and Key
• Key and Coin
• The Bitten Key
• Fly Key Fly
• Strings and Key
• Key-Ring-and String
Flink Key is also magnetically attractive so the key can easily be vanished and produced. This is a great point to consider for switches.
You also get another special gimmick which allows you to perform a great version of the popular Bitten Coin. With the extra attachment you can bite the key, take the bitten piece out of your mouth and then restore the key instantly.
• The special precision-made key.
• Ungimmicked key
• A specially made leather pouch to keep the keys safe and separate
• Extra accessories
• Extra gimmick for Bitten Key.
• A 50 minute DVD full of routines, and very well detailed instructions for all of the routines.
(2) Nailed: Have you ever wanted to perform an apparently dangerous version of Spike Roulette with absolutely no real danger to you, the performer. Well, now you can!
Gerry Frenette’s Nailed is the latest in the “totally safe” versions of this now classic effect.
A 3" long extremely sharp aluminum spike is shown, and rapped against the table to show that it is solid.
While your back is turned, a spectator hides the spike under one of 4 opaque plastic cups.
When you turn back, you immediately know where the spike is, even from across the room!
You can now smash the cups with your hand, one at a time, then finally lift the last cup to show that the spike is still there.
You can remind yourself as often as you want where it is, but here's the best part: you will never get hurt, even if you or a spectator hits the wrong cup by mistake!
Watch the video demo all the way to the end, and Gerry will show you why you will never get hurt!
(3) Sleeveless Sleeving – Johan Stahl: On this DVD, you will learn Johan Ståhl's previously unpublished technique that helped him win prizes all over the world. Sleeveless makes magic that uses a sleeving technique appear even more impossible. With Sleeveless Sleeving you will be able to vanish, produce and transform objects with apparently rolled-up sleeves!
Note: This is a non-discountable item
"Practitioners of sleight of hand will find many nice touches and food for thought here. Johan is a clever man, and one to watch." - John Carney
"His work is remarkable." - Carl Cloutier
"Johan Stahl's DVD contains groundbreaking ideas that breathe new life into an old magicians' tool." - Darwin Ortiz
"Johan Stahl does amazing things with his sleeves rolled up--things you would have never thought possible." - Joshua Jay
"WOW! Your sleeveless sleeving techniques looks great! I am particularly thrilled with the cleanliness of your various visual changes. Thank you for sharing your ideas with the magical fraternity." - Daryl
"This very pleasant young man does eye-popping magic. He continued to fool me with the moves he had just explained. I spent a lot of time shaking my head in disbelief. - Doc Eason
(4) Gecko Flash: RosenGadgets and Magic Wagon bring to current Gecko owners a brand new Gecko gimmick called the Gecko Flash!
The Gecko Flash gives you the ability to perform incredible vanishes with an intense bright flash of white light. Your spectators will be stunned to see an item vanish in a quick flash of light as you immediately show your hands completely clean.
The Gecko Flash is built for extreme durability and should last for hundreds of performances when used properly.
Includes one Gecko Flash electronic gimmick, 12v battery (easily sourced), spare repair items, and a 90 day warranty with proof of purchase receipt.
Note: The Gecko Flash can only be used if you have purchased the original Gecko! Please do not purchase the Gecko Flash if you have not purchased the original Gecko as you will need to use items that came with the original Gecko.
(5) In The Sack DVD – Jeff Hobson: The world’s finest and funniest Egg Bag routine.
Over an hour of footage
- Full explanations of Hobson's famed Egg Bag routine
- Exploration of styles of bags and props
- Step-by-step discussion of every move
- Hobson's gags and extra moves
- Subtleties of working with spectators
- Analysis of various types of bags and routines
- Additional ideas for trade shows and alternate finales
Hobson reveals all the secrets of his brilliant Egg Bag routine!
The DVD captures Hobson as he explains every step of his hilarious and mysterious routine, complete with all of Hobson's moves and gags. You'll also learn his subtleties of working with spectators, additional ideas for trade shows and alternate finales, and you'll receive his insight into various bags, eggs, and routines.
Hobson's Egg Bag will be a hit in your show! Now you can learn it from the master of this classic effect!
(6) Inner Secrets Of Professional Magic DVD – Paul Daniels: Paul Daniels is one of the most successful magicians of all time. He made worldwide headlines with his top rated television shows, extensive live performances and the fortune he acquired through magic.
On this instructional DVD Paul teaches you the impromptu routines he uses when meeting people in a casual atmosphere. You will learn a lot more than just tricks as Daniels goes into detail explaining all the real work that can make these memorable events.
As all professional magicians know, the magic and stunts you do during your daily life can often lead to bigger and better bookings and relationships than the most expensive marketing campaigns. Learn the intimate magic that Paul Daniels used throughout his career.
Routines performed and explained:
• The Boomerang Band - Paul teaches his handling of this famed stunt where a rubber band is made to shoot across the room or a stage and then amazingly roll back to you.
• The Penetrating Band - Paul teaches a rubber band sequence he used on television where a rubber band penetrates the stem of a glass.
• The Knot In The Rope - This is the classic one hand knot where you flick a rope or a tie and a knot appears on it. Paul often uses this as part of his stage shows.
• The Double Lift - A standard technique in card magic is discussed, cleaned up and taught.
• The Toss Vanish - A quick and magical sequence with a coin which Paul likes to do for children. A coin penetrates through your pants into your pocket; it is then placed into your other pocket and visually penetrates through the pant leg. The coin is then vanished and reproduced.
• My Coin Vanish - Quick vanishing coin sequences Paul performs in impromptu situations.
• Napkin Coin Vanish - A coin completely vanishes from under a napkin.
• Changing The Face - A sequence using a bank note where the face on the bill smiles and frowns and then turns upside down.
Throughout the DVD Paul also gives great tips and advice about becoming a better magician. $29.95 (DVD01144)
(7) Crossword: Direct from Mark Mason’s working repertoire comes Crossword.
This is a no reset, strolling, eye-popping that packs a knockout punch.
It is everything a magic trick should be.
Direct, visual, in their hands exciting magic. The hand-crafted gimmick is genius, devious and devastating (Dr. Daley would laugh out loud)
Four custom printed playing cards magically change places between you and your spectator. To see the words visually change is a moment of pure magic. A real reputation builder, that leaves a lasting impression on any laymen.
Comes complete with:
Specially printed cards
Custom designed gimmick
Step by step instructional DVD.
(8) Masterminds Vol. 3 – MF Aces – Criss Angel: On this DVD, Criss Angel releases MF Aces, another amazing routine in the Mastermind series. Criss featured this mind-blowing twist on the classic Four Ace Assembly routine on Mindfreak Season 4 and Criss now presents it to you exactly as he performed it on television. The actual TV demonstration is included on this DVD. Watch as the Aces disappear one at a time in the cleanest and fairest manner possible and all appear in a pile set to the side. The vanish of each ace looks like real magic yet are easy to do. This is a stunning routine that you will do.
MF Aces is performed and taught step-by-step by Criss Angel and close-up guru Joe Monti. This comes with the gimmicks that enables you to perform this close-up effect anywhere.
Shot in the BeLIEve Cirque du Soleil Theater at the Luxor in Las Vegas.
Note: We also have the other new Mastermind DVDs, Volumes Four and Five. Check the Hotlist!
(9) Pongolian Delights DVD – Ali Bongo: Commercial and Visual Routines from Magic's Great Inventor
Ali Bongo (1929-2009) stood as one of magic's most prolific inventors, creating practical and highly visual effects for British television stars like David Nixon and Paul Daniels, and he remains a beloved figure for his wonderful comedy act as the Shriek of Araby.
Ali Bongo: Pongolian Delights includes almost two hours of material in which Bongo explains nine of his creations, all superbly designed for commercial and televised conditions: simple, direct, and magical. The disk includes comedy effects, predictions, close-up, and more.
You'll also be treated to Ali's discussions of his work with Paul Daniels and David Nixon, his FISM acts, and other journeys through his life in magic.
(10) Annemann’s Enigma CDRom Set: The writings of Theodore Annemann.
Annemann's Enigma is an incredible collection of the writings and life story of the brilliant Ted Annemann. This 2-CD set features the most complete array of Annemann writings ever offered: over 1000 pages of material with 20 of his books, including some of his rarest titles, 50 manuscripts, and even a few unpublished effects.
Also includes previously unpublished effects and letters, rare Anemann Bullet Catch video and articles on the Bullet Catch, Mystery of the Jinx Postcard, biographical timeline and Annemann genealogy, bonus material on pioneer mentalist Bert Reese and the "Fake Jinx" and other Annemann rarities
His brief and stellar life is explored through letters, memorabilia, news and magazine articles, and over 100 photos of Annemann, many never-before-seen images from his family's collection, ranging from childhood to his final years.
Includes Annemann's Card Miracles (1929), Annemann's Mental Miracles (1929), The Book Without a Name (1931), 101 Methods of Forcing (1932), 202 Methods of Forcing (1933), Sh-h-h-h! It's a Secret! (1934), Annemann's Complete One-Man Mental and Psychic Routine (1935), Mental Bargain Effects (1935), En Rapport (1937 and 1944 editions), Jinx Programs 1-5 (1938), The Incorporated Strange Secrets (1939), Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks (1943), Practical Mental Effects (1944), Annemann's Fifty Dollar Manuscript, Annemann's Miracles of Card Magic (1948), and Buried Treasures (1952).
(11) Houdini The Movie Star DVD Set: By the year 1919, Harry Houdini was known throughout the world as a master magician and escape artist. Having conquered the stage, he set out to rule the screen, appearing in a series of thrillers built upon his almost supernatural powers. Culled from film archives and private collections, this Kino DVD set includes all of Houdini's surviving films as an actor, rare footage of actual handcuff and straitjacket escapes, and a wealth of historical information.
The Mastery Mystery (1919, 238 Min., Color Tinted)
Terror Island (1920, 55 Min., B&W)
The Man From Beyond (1922, 68 Min., Color Tinted)
Haldane Of The Secret Service (1923, 84 Min., Color Tinted)
The Grim Game (Fragment, 1919, 5 Min., Color Tinted)
An examination of scenes deleted by the New York Censor Board
Detailed film notes
Correspondence with the NY Censor Board
Filmed records of Houdini escapes (1907-ca. 1923)
The illusion “Metamorphosis,” performed by Houdini’s brother Hardeen
1914 Audio recording of Houdini introducing his “Water Torture Cell”
“Slippery Jim,” 1910 comedy short inspired by Houdini
(12) Septet – Jack Kent Tillar: Super powers for mentalists!
If you've always wanted to become a psychic entertainer possessing apparently true super powers, using almost no props and little preparation, this book overflows with many inspirational ideas and invaluable tools to do so! In this final volume of the critically, acclaimed Collector's Series, the creator of the classic Blister effect has saved some of his most ingenious material for last!
Super X-ray Vision - The performer amazingly reads information that is sealed between two steel plates!
Tough As Nails - Steel nails are psychically bent by the programmer!
The Memory Pill Act - The final expansion of Tillar's signature act in which a performer swallows a miracle pill that enables him to have a super memory for twenty minutes.
All-new incredible routines by guest contributors Jeff McBride, Ross Johnson, Scott Grossberg, Paul Draper, Bob Fenton, Mark Edward, and Odes Odhner.
Pages: 174 – Softbound. $49.95 (BK01710)
(13) Spike Sharpie Edition: If you love the effect of the original Spike, but are not crazy about wearing a PK Ring, the Spike Sharpie Edition is for you!
A simple game of chance with a four inch spike.
Four inches of cold, hard steel ground to a point, and rising vertically from a solid wooden base. Will you drive your open palm down onto it with force? Blindfolded? Take the chance, prove yourself. A life without pain has no meaning. Give your life meaning.
Five unmarked wooden blocks are displayed and one four inch steel spike. The performer can have his back turned, be blindfolded, or even leave the room while the spectator places the spike into one block (free choice). The spectator is then instructed to cover all the wooden blocks with Styrofoam cups. The performer walks over to the five cups and instantly smashes his hand on four, leaving the cup with the spike underneath untouched! An incredible feat of mentalism!
Ideal for close-up, stage, cabaret, cruises, and other larger venues, this hand-crafted beauty is a versatile magic prop that can be played for comedy or high drama! Whichever way you choose, you will leave your audiences spellbound!
(14) Master Mindfreaks Volume Six – Criss Angel: Thirteen Mindfreaks!
Criss Angel releases a new volume in this acclaimed DVD instruction series. Each DVD is filled with new mind-blowing effects performed with household items.
Many have been featured on the TV series, Mindfreak. Criss performs and teaches each Mindfreak with legends of magic Joe Monti and Johnny Thompson, who share their many years of insight, expertise and practice tips. Each effect is expertly performed and clearly explained from start to finish. Whether you are 8 or 108, a beginner or the most advanced magician, there is something on this DVD for you. Shot in the Criss Angel BeLIEve Cirque du Soleil Theater at the Luxor in Las Vegas.
Cause N Effect
Ring Around the Rope
Included Master Mindfreaks Bonus:
Black Sheep from Volume 8
Sweet Premonition from Volume 7
Note: We also carry the two new Master Mindfreaks DVD, Volumes Seven and Eight. Plus the first five volumes! Check the online catalog for these.
And that’s this week’s Gigantic Hotlist! If you count the four new Criss Angel DVDs which we have not listed, it’s a total of 18 new items. Holy Hohokus! The good news is that you have the long weekend to check out all this great new stuff! And, I hope you will.
As always, we thank you for taking time out from your busy schedules to visit us either online at www.magicfact.com or in person at 102 North Street in Medford. Either way we love the company!