Greetings from all of us here at Hank Lee’s Magic Factory. I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July, and remembered to use plenty of sun-bloc.
This has been a sad week in the world of magic. My old friend Hank Moorehouse passed away while on tour in China. Hank had done just about everything there was to do in magic, from owning his own magic business to serving as president of the Society of American Magicians. For years he booked the shows at the National SAM Convention, and brought some amazing acts to the U.S. He will be missed.
For many years, people confused Hank Moorehouse and me. Maybe it’s because we both had the same first name. Maybe it’s because we both had beards and wore glasses. I always found it interesting, and a bit amusing. This week, we received several emails from folks mourning my passing. To clear up any confusion, I, Hank Lee, am still very much alive. And, it is my plan to stay this way for a while. Just FYI.
On the home front, it is very quiet. And by quiet, I mean silent. Aron is off with the Trustees of Reservations. Lucas is away at an opera program in New Jersey. Bonnie and Bones have gone off to Martha’s Vineyard for the summer. Which leaves just me in the house. Home alone.
In our little magic world, the new stuff just keeps on coming. No summer lull. No summer doldrums. There’s new stuff every day. As always, we try and sift through it all and just bring you the items that we feel are really good. But, you already knew that.
I am sure you recall that last week I stated our July Fourth Sales Event would be the last full blown sale for quite some time. Well, all this week, I have been answering emails and phone calls from folks who missed the sales event because they were away on vacation last week. I get it, and I’m an understanding guy. So you really need to checkout this week’s excitement. It’s for those of you who missed out last week, and for everyone else as well!
Eighth Of July Sales Event: It’s time to celebrate Independence Day, just one week late! This one is a quick celebration, so read on. For the next four days, from the very moment you receive this email until Monday, July 11th at midnight, everything (well, almost everything) is on sale at 30% off the retail price. All you need to do is enter the special code JULY8TH in the Discount Coupon Box of the online checkout at www.magicfact.com and we will automatically deduct 30% from your order total. If you are calling your order in to the Toll Free Order Line at 800 874 7400, FAXing your order to us at 781 395 2034 or emailing us your order to email@example.com make sure and mention the special code so you can save a huge 30%!
Now, here are the rules:
• The minimum order to use the 30% off discount is $30.00.
• The 30% is deducted from the retail price of the item. No intermediate discounts (such as HankoGram pricing) may be applied. In the case of sets, such as DVDs and Videos, the 30% is deducted from the retail price of each item and not from the set price.
• We cannot combine offers.
• Certain items, due to contractual restrictions, are not included in this sale. All Viking/CW items, Kennedy Enterprises items, Colin Rose items, Mike Caveney Books, Johnson Products items, MagicSmith items, Greater Magic Teach-In DVDs, One Of A Kind Collectors' Items and a few other items are not included in the sale.
• If you place an order for an item that is not on this list or not noted in our online catalog, but is excluded from the sale, we will let you know before processing your order.
• Promotional Gift Certificates, Coupons and Reward Points may not be used as part of this sales event.
• As the discount is automatically generated, you must put the special code JULY8TH in the Discount Coupon Box and nowhere else. You may have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the box, but it is there. If you are not sure how to do this, please phone your order in to our toll-free order line at 800 874 7400, and we will take care of you. We cannot offer discounts retroactively.
And that's it. It could not be easier. So, get your order together and save yourself some serious money! But, act quickly. The sale positively ends Monday at midnight, EDT. Enjoy!
Now, let’s take a look at this week’s Hotlist!
(1) Pop Gun – Dan Wolfe: A stage-filling effect that your audiences are going to love!
Two volunteers assist you in re-creating the story of William Tell.
An apple (wooden) is examined and a tie-dyed silk handkerchief is marked for further identification.
The apple is wrapped in a paper napkin, while the marked silk is loaded into a clear "shotgun shell" and inserted into the rear of the Pop Gun, a homemade affair apparently (but not really) created from pop cans, tape and spare parts.
To help the audience follow the silk's invisible flight across the stage, you blow up a balloon and isolate it in a round holder, a bit like a tennis racket with no strings.
The apple is placed on top of one helper's head while the other levels the Pop Gun at the balloon. The trigger is pulled...
POP! A banner pops out the end of the gun! POP! The balloon breaks!
The apple is unwrapped and the hanky removed by the helper. It's their marked silk!
Remember, the spectator visibly places the silk into the gun, not the magician. You never need to go near the gun again.
Includes: Pop Gun, Transparent Shell, Special Silks, Apple, Balloon Holder and complete instructions/comedy routine, even the napkins, balloons and a Sharpie marker. Everything necessary to present the routine!
Our good friend and fulltime pro Dave Garrity uses this routine all the time. He loves the audience response to it!
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
(2) Four Told – Devin Knight: The performer shows a chart consisting of five colored ESP symbols. He invites four people to participate.
Each participant is asked to just think of an ESP symbol shown on the chart. The participants write nothing down, they just think of a symbol. There are no restrictions. Each person could be thinking of a different symbol, or they all could be thinking of the same symbol. They do not share their thoughts with each other.
The performer begins to get impressions and calls out three symbols. He says, "If I have called out the symbol you are thinking of, please close your eyes and draw the symbol in your mind."
The performer then tells the participants to open their eyes and clear their minds. He then asks them to concentrate on the colors of their symbols. The performer then begins to call out colors he is getting strong impressions of. He says, "If I have called out the color you are thinking of, please close your eyes and visualize it in your mind."
The performer does not ask any questions. The participants say nothing; they just close their eyes and think.
The performer takes an ESP deck and hands each participant a face-down card. Only after each person is given a face-down card does the performer ask the participants to reveal their thought-of symbols.
Amazingly, when the face-down ESP cards are shown, they match each participant's thought-of symbol.
For a stunning climax, the performer points to several people in the audience and asks if they were also thinking of a symbol. With no questions or fishing, the performer then reveals the symbols just thought of by members of the audience.
All this is done without any pre-show work of any kind!
No Stooges. No Dual Realities. No Questions. Just Powerful Magic! Comes with a full color plastic chart designed to last a lifetime and detailed directions. Easy to do. Use any ESP deck.
(3) Happie Amp With Mic: Happie Amp 2.0 is a 50 watt max portable, wireless, 5 pound PA system for audiences of up to 400 people indoors or 200 people outdoors. At a price you cannot beat!
· 50Watts Portable PA System
· Built-In Rechargeable Battery
· Power Supply: 110Volt
· One year Manufacturer Warranty
· 2 - Belt Packs (Works at the Same Time!)
· 2 - Headset Mics
· 2 - Lapel Mics
Wireless Handheld Mic
· 2 - 9 Volt Batteries
· 2 - 1/8" Audio Inputs
· 1/4" Input
· 1/4" Speaker Output
· AC Adapter
· Carrying Bag
Q: What is the weight?
A: The entire package is under 7 pounds. The speaker itself is about 5 pounds.
Q: Is it UHF or VHF?
Q: Can I play music through the system?
A: YES - it has a couple of 1/8" audio jacks. That is the most common size and type for music. It will work with your iPod, MD player, CD player, Laptop, etc.
Q: Can I use both mics at the same time?
A: YES - They are on different frequencies so you can use both at the same time. The wireless handheld mic is on the same frequency as one of the belt packs
Q: What are the dimensions of the speaker?
A: 11.5" tall includes the handle, 7" wide, 4" deep.
Q: How many people will it accommodate?
A: This unit has been used for 400 kids in an auditorium or about 200 people outdoors.
(4) PhotoShop – Will Tsai: How many times do you think people look at an magazine and think "I wish I could just pull that right out of the picture?" Well, now you can!
You will have the ability to go beyond dimension. Be able to pull and put anything you want in and out of the photo. Guaranteed audience reaction!
No video app or advance technology involved. It’s magic in its simplest form.
In your audience’s mind, you have a photo, you pull an object out of the photo, they get to keep the object as a souvenir and they can even keep the photo!
The effect ends absolutely clean. PhotoShop is not only a powerful stand-alone effect, it's also a strong opener or closer to any close up routines.
You can produce a gift for your audience as a stand-alone effect.
Use it as an opener to squeeze a coin out of a photo to start your coin routine.
Even use it as a finale to pull a folded card out of the photo to reveal their signed card!
Fully customizable, with endless possibilities. It is extremely easy to perform which will allow you to fully concentrate on your presentation.
Keep PhotoShop in your wallet. It’s always ready whenever and wherever you wish.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
Coming in really soon. Pre-order now and we will pay the shipping!
(5) Min Card Stickers – Alan Wong: Such a cool idea! You receive three sets of stickers, each set containing 4 sheets of Mini Card Stickers. Twelve sheets in all. All 52 faces of a complete deck, 4 extra Jokers, 4 extra Aces, 10 red backs and 10 blue backs to create all kinds of possibilities for your magic effects.
Reveal your prediction on your business card, your spectator's business card, face of their watch, back of your mobile phone, your spectator's phone, back of a chosen coin, a borrowed coin, a mini photo frame, a crystal ball, inside a pendant you are wearing, and anywhere you can stick the mini card!
Create your original mini card tricks and mini gaff cards: double face, double back, mini Three Card Monte, 52-on-1 card etc.
Secretly communicate a force card to another helper by sticking it on an object or simply on your thumb for them to read.
Make multiple-outs by sticking your mini cards in multiple places!
Endless possibilities only limited by your imagination
Think about this:
You are always ready to perform close up card miracles even without a deck of card!
Instantly create magical souvenirs for your spectator that they will keep and remember you!
Some great magic to carry in your wallet all the time!
Each package contains 3 sets or 12 sheets of total 240 card stickers without instructions.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
(6) The Evolution of Card Manipulation DVD - Lee Ang Hsuan:
Lee Ang Hsuan, with his skillful performance of stage card manipulation, has shocked the world. His unique and original techniques have aroused the attention of some famous magic conventions, resulting in his being invited as a guest performer.
In this DVD, for the first time Lee Ang Hsuan reveals all the secrets of his original techniques. Through this DVD, you'll learn not only his astonishing moves, but also the most popular techniques of stage card manipulation, step by step. Enjoy the excitement of card manipulation with Lee Ang Hsuan now!
Single Card Vanish
Cardini Single Card Production
Single Card Production
Split Fan Production
Twirling Card Production
Serial Cards Vanish
Perfect Dual Production
Tenkai Dual Production
Cross Fan Production
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
(7) Rubber Walnuts: Rubber Walnuts that are perfect enough for Harry Riser’s walnut routine than any other product have been really hard to find. Our friends at Wack-O-Magic have taken over a year, making four versions of the mold, and countless experiments getting the color correct and consistent. Now, they are here! Even James Riser, who is a perfectionist to the nth degree says that these are the best fake walnuts he’s ever seen!
The walnuts are made from solid urethane rubber; not foam or latex. These are heavy, and yet soft enough not to “talk” when put into a glass or Chop Cup.
They are colored intrinsically, which means the color will never wear off, and can be washed with soap and water if and when they become dirty.
(8) Classic Correspondence From Egyptian Hall: The first 24 columns of Mike Caveney's Classic Correspondence series that appeared in MAGIC Magazine (2006-07) have been collected into a beautiful new book. The entire book is printed in full-color with added annotations, previously-unseen photographs, posters and other rare memorabilia.
If you enjoy reading Mike's monthly column (currently back in MAGIC) you will love this expanded and enhanced volume containing the first series of 24 letters.
Reading this book is like being taken on a guided tour through the historical files of Egyptian Hall Museum. It's the perfect gift for anyone who loves the art of magic. 288 pages. 6 by 9 inches. Fully indexed with beautiful full-color end sheets.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
(9) T_2 Sterile – Randi Rain: From Randi Rain, the second generation of Tetanus, the 100% safe spike roulette trick. Where Tetanus was all about rusty spikes on rusty bases, T2_Sterile is clean silver spikes and sexy jet black bases. T2_Sterile has been even more simplified than it's previous generation, making for a more beautiful and igniting performance. T2_Sterile comes with four black bases, one deadly aluminum spike, four safe spikes, DVD instructions and performance, all packed in a scientific black box.
Some spike roulette routines claim to be 100% safe. But that's only if you do them properly. Others claim to be 100% safe as long as nothing funny happens. T2_Sterile is the only one that is 100% safe all the time, every time, no matter what. Even if you mess up, no one will ever get hurt!
The effect is classic. Four wooden bases and one solid, sharp spike. Place the spike in one of the bases, then cover all the bases with Styrofoam plastic cups. Turn your back and have a spectator mix the cups around.
Turn back to face the audience. Hold your hand over a cup and crush it. Do it again. And again. The last cup is removed from the base, and there is the solid, sharp spike!
The method will absolutely thrill you. I promise. It's a method which has never been used before. And, it is the method which makes the effect so powerful, and so safe.
Comes complete with performance/explanation DVD and everything needed to perform, less the Styrofoam cups, which can be found at any super market.
(10) Street Monte – G.Sparks: A Monte routine with bottle caps and a coin (Quarter Size)
The included 4” x 5” x ½” black velvet pad is your working surface, and is used to carry the props.
No matter where you place the coin your audience, cannot find it.
Vanish and produce the coin as often as you like.
You can even have the coin completely vanish and appear from your pocket.
This mechanical Monte, lets the bottle caps and the pad do most of the work.
Visual and easy to do. You can pass out the coin. You can use different bottle caps.
Comes ready for the magic, just add your own coin.
(11) Grandfather Stories Magic - Ed Solomon:
Ed Solomon has a real talent for weaving interesting or emotionally impacting magic with equally touching stories. This book of magic storytelling takes on a different format than his other books. First, Ed shares the stories and leaves it to you to ponder and mull them over for a bit before he presents his one suggestion for the effect and method at the end of the book.
The first 10 stories in the book are presented as just that, stories. Sometimes the magic within them is explicit, other times it is implied. But these first 10 stories allow you to think about what you would do with them until you reach the end of the book. Only then does Ed share his thoughts about the magic and the method
These stories all have a Native American flavor to them, and are bound to both inspire and delight.
This book is a very full and satisfying 80 pages, following the same format as Ed's recent books, Money Matters and What Lies Behind.
And that’s this week’s Wonder of Wonders Hotlist! I am so sure that you’ll find something that you absolutely must have, well let’s just say that I’m sure! I mean, this is really good stuff. Really good.
As I sure you already know, I am so very grateful that you take time out from your busy tanning schedule to spend some with us at Hank Lee’s. Whether you visit us online at www.magicfact.com or in person at 102 North Street in Medford, we totally love the company!