Greetings from all of the overstuffed folks here at Hank Lee’s Magic Factory. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Ours was perfect. Both Aron and Lucas came home for the holiday. Lucas brought Julia, his BFF (What does that mean? Really.). She’s Canadian and they don’t celebrate Thanksgiving. I think they have Boxing Day, which sounds like fun except if it involves a turkey. Anyway, we had a houseful of people. Family and friends and turkey and stuffing and all kinds of side dishes and plenty of desserts and football and, of course, a nice nap. What could be better? Nothing, sez me. Of course, today, we are all walking around in a “Geez, I ate too much” daze, but it’s OK.
There is some news on the 2010 Cape Cod Magic Conclave. We have just booked Pilou from France. He’s a FISM winner, and his act is just plain great. He was supposed to be with us a couple of years ago, but it didn’t work out; this time he will be with us! If you’d like to check out his act, you can see a video here:
Hopefully, it will inspire you to register for the Conclave right away, while there are still great seats available. You can register online, of course. Just go here:
We are working very hard to make this one of the best Conclaves ever. I hope you will be with us!
On the magic front, we have received Titan’s Finger, finally, and all of the back orders have been shipped. It’s a fabulous trick, and the method will blow you away. If you haven’t already ordered yours, check it out, right at the top of the Hotlist at www.magicfact.com.
Meteors is less than two weeks away, and we are really excited about it. Juan Mayoral is such a clever guy, and his items are always top-notch. Speaking of Juan, he will also be with us for the 2010 Conclave. Hint, hint.
FREE SHIPPING: Until Thursday, the 24th of December at midnight, we are offering free ground shipping on any order over $30.00 to anywhere in the US, including Alaska and Hawaii! Just enter the special code SHIPMEFREE in the Discount Coupon Box at the bottom of the first page of the online checkout at www.magicfact.com. We will happily pick up the ground shipping charges on your order. Of course, if you want your order sent Fedex Three Day (Express Saver), Second Day or Next Day, you will just have to pay the difference.
Note: Your email confirmation from our online system will still list the shipping as free, but we will charge the difference when we ship your order.
Overseas customers will save as well! We will pay one-half of the Air Post shipping charges on your orders until the 24th! Just remember to enter the special code SHIPMEFREE in the Discount Coupon Box, or let the person taking your phone order know when you place your order at 800 874 7400.
Now, let’s take a look at this week’s Hotlist
(1) Chest Of Nostradamus: The Chest of Nostradamus, was invented by Jos Denys of Belgium and is beautifully made by our friends at Viking Magic. It is a fabulous and diabolically clever prediction. No amount of examination of the chest or cards will reveal the unique and original method.
Show a small wooden chest suspended from decorative chains. As it hangs from your extended finger, explain that the box contains two items: a deck of cards and a small envelope.
When the participant opens the chest to get the cards, she will cut from the deck as many cards as she wishes and you guarantee that the freely cut-to card will match the prediction in the envelope.
Ask the participant to do the following in her mind only: to cut an imaginary deck of cards, count the number of cards in the portion she cut off, and to keep the information to herself.
She has a completely free choice and may change her mind until the moment that she reveals it to one and all.
Next, ask the participant to do exactly the same with the real deck of cards inside the chest.
The chains are detached from the chest and the chest placed on the participant's outstretched palm. She opens the chest and to places both the envelope and the deck of cards on the table.
The envelope containing the prediction card is removed and placed next to the chest. The participant herself counts off the same number of cards that she imagined cutting from the deck and places the dealt cards to one side. She then removes the top card from her stack and places it to the side, face down.
Attention is drawn to the prediction envelope. It is torn open showing the card inside to be (for example) the Jack of Spades.
All eyes now turn to the one face down card selected by the spectator. It is turned over to reveal the ..... Jack of Spades!
Please note that once the cards are placed inside the chest, they are not touched by the performer.
A standard deck of Bicycle poker cards is used.
The performer does not force the number on the spectator. Any number can be used and the duplicate of the prediction card will be at that number.
Reset takes but two minutes.
The effect is performed exactly as described.
You receive the beautiful solid walnut chest with golden chains; a deck of Bicycle cards ( you can use your own); sample envelopes and special gimmick plus complete detailed instructions. Chest is supplied with custom fitted red velvet draw-string pouch. $245.00 (40.699)
(2) Measle Teasle Wand: If it’s laughs you’re looking for, Tommy James’ new Measle Teasle Wand will have them literally seeing spots!
Bring out your magic wand. Oh, no! It’s covered with white spots! Does it have the Measles? Or is it Spotted Fever?
No matter, you certainly cannot use a wand covered in spots. To magically remove the spots, you blow through the tube. The spots visually vanish from the wand!
Begin your next trick, and the spots come back. Of course, you don’t see them, but the kids do, and they are quick to let you know. The pandemonium begins! Finally, you see the spots. Thank goodness.
Blow through the wand again, and again the spots vanish. Begin waving the wand in the air and express how happy you are that the spots are gone. But, wait. As you wave the wand, the spots slowly reappear on the wand.
Once again the kids are shouting for you to look at the wand. Huh? What? Finally you see the spots again.
Maybe if everyone blows at the same time? Have all the kids blow, and the spots vanish!
Stare at the wand, anticipating the return of the spots. Of course, they don’t come back until you take your eyes off the wand!
A great running gag. The spots can return slowly or in a split second. The perfect “look-no-see prop for your kids’ show. It’ll have ‘em screaming!
15” Long. ¾” in diameter. Really well made. $40.00 (50.964)
Thanks to Tommy James for giving us the exclusive on his Measle Teasle Wand. It means you will find it here at Hank Lee’s and only here. Not there.
(3) Bottle Production Supreme: Show an empty silk and pull it through your hands several times. Suddenly, a full Coke bottle appears in your hands!
The bottle is taken away with one hand and another Coke bottle appears on the silk!
Then you take the second bottle from the silk and a third bottle appears!
More bottles are produced in rapid succession and placed aside!
The production can be repeated 15 or even more times if you wish!
A perfect opener for any stage or parlor act!
You receive the specially prepared bottles for a continuous production from a silk and detailed instructions. $59.95 (60.1636)
(4) Sudden Impact DVD – Cameron Francis: Cameron Francis continues to confound the magic world with his unstoppable creativity and flair for unbelievably practical and visual close up magic. He may just have outdone himself on this DVD! This is an incredibly visual change of one card into another that will leave your audiences completely stunned!
A Joker is isolated inside the card case. Everything is completely fair. With the card in full view, it instantly changes into the signed selection, which is then fairly dumped out of the box and handed out for inspection! You have to see it to believe it.
But, it doesn't stop there. Cameron has created no less then seven different effects (including magic, mentalism and gambling themes) with the Sudden Impact gimmicks and they are all included on this DVD! You'll learn a ton of cool moves and sleights as Cameron shows you a wide variety of uses for his Sudden Impact concept. With this DVD and the enclosed gimmicks, you'll be able to:
Change one card into another!
Change the back color of a card!
Change a playing card into your business card!
Melt two signed cards into one!
Make one card pass through another!
Plus, Cameron will teach you a method for cleaning up the gimmicks meaning that everything can be examined!
(5) Professional Fountain Of Silks: The G&L Professional Fountain of Silks are known and used by performers all over the world. This is because of the highest quality of all materials that are used in constructing them. They are built here in the United States by G&L. The small bundle can be hidden behind a prop or pulled from a production item such as a Square Circle.
The first silk opens and the remaining silks (18 inch) flower open in a burst of bright colors. The effect ends with a large bouquet of Mylar Spring Flowers. This effect can be seen on the largest of stages or can be performed in a small living room. It uses a rubber loop and Velcro which makes it very easy to grasp prior to performing the effect.
Includes full instructions with photos, tips on how to maintain and store the effect when not in use, as well as tips on keeping the effect for many years. $95.00 (60.1637)
(6) Super Stars: You’ll be seeing stars with this one, and plenty of them!
Perform classic multiplying routines with a wonderful new set of Professional 2 1/2" Sponge Stars from the Goshman Spongewerks!
Available in Red and Yellow. Please specify, or just get a bag of each!
(7) Card To Hip Wallet: This is the perfect Card To Wallet created by Keith Bennett.
The loading is so easy from a front trouser pocket, a hip pocket or from an inside jacket pocket.
It comes with the original Keith Bennett instructions. Beautifully made in leather.
(8) Blooming Flower Bush – Remote Control: In stock in very limited supply! Your audience will love this beautiful illusion!
Imagine, a large potted flower bush. Remove the flowers and drop them into a silk bag. After a magical gesture, rip the bag open to show the flowers have vanished!
At your command, slowly, bright spots of color begin to appear on the bush. The flowers have reappeared on the bush!
The Remote-Control Blooming Flower Bush has the following features:
• The bush is 21 inches at its highest point, 13 inches at its widest point.
• The vase is 7 inches tall.
• The Remote-Control Blooming Flower Bush is powered by 8 AA batteries, and programmed to bloom 10 flowers
The Remote Control Blooming Flower Bush comes with:
• Handheld remote control
• The silk bag with rip-away feature
• Feather flowers (for vanishing)
• A carrying case
(9) Automated Osmosis: Show two clear empty glasses and a solid glass square.
The two glasses are stacked one on top of the other with the solid glass square between them.
Milk or any other liquid is poured into the upper glass and the liquid remains there as expected.
The glasses are now briefly covered with a silk or handkerchief, and in an instant the liquid from the top glass magically vanishes and re-appears in the bottom glass.
Seems like the milk has penetrated the top glass and the solid glass square.
Sounds impossible, but it has just happened right in front of their eyes!
This is a top quality prop, made from real glass tumblers.
(10) Magic: 1400s - 1950s – Mike Caveney & Jim Steinmeyer: This will be the holiday season gift of the year! Now in stock, in very limited supply.
The world’s greatest magicians from the Middle Ages through the 1950s
Magic has enchanted humankind for millennia, evoking terror, laughter, shock, and amazement. Once persecuted as heretics and sorcerers, magicians have always been conduits to a parallel universe of limitless possibility—whether invoking spirits, reading minds, or inverting the laws of nature by sleight of hand. Long before science fiction, virtual realities, video games and the Internet, the craft of magic was the most powerful fantasy world man had ever known. As the pioneers of special effects throughout history, magicians have never ceased to mystify us by making the impossible possible.
This book celebrates more than 500 years of the dazzling visual culture of the world's greatest magicians. Featuring more than 1,000 rarely seen vintage posters, photographs, handbills, and engravings as well as paintings by Hieronymus Bosch and Caravaggio among others, this 650-page volume traces the history of magic as a performing art from the 1400s to the 1950s. Combining sensational images with lucid and incisive text, Magic explores the evolution of the magician’s craft, from medieval street performers to the brilliant stage magicians who gave rise to cinematic special effects; from the 19th century's Golden Age of Magic to groundbreaking daredevils like Houdini and the early 20th century's vaudevillians.
Hardcover. 650 pages. Over 100 images. 11.4 x 17.3 inches. $200.00 (BK01671)
(11) The Davenport Story – Volume One: The Life and Times of a Magical Family 1881-1939 - Davenports reveal in spectacular detail, secrets gathered over 110 years as dealers, performers and hoarders of magical memorabilia. This first volume tells how Lewis Davenport, at the age of 16, founded his business in a highly competitive market. How that business prospered and ultimately became one of the most recognizable names in magic. In addition he and succeeding generations were magical performers, so interwoven into the story is how they developed their acts and interacted with leading magicians and events. The story calls upon unique archive material acquired from the likes of The Servais LeRoy Company, Chung Ling Soo, Maskelyne's, Will Goldston, Arnold De Biere, Okito, Cardini, Kalanag, The Great Levante, Murray and many others. Other volumes are to follow and the second in the series, 'The Lost Legends' will include Robert Harbin's unpublished 'Magic Marches On,' Edward Victor's lost book 'With Magic Hands' and as a bonus, a brilliant unpublished work by G. W. Hunter, 'The World of Magic.' Volume One of 'The Davenport Story' is hard bound with color dust cover and has 441 pages with over 500 illustrations including 16 full pages of color. Available in very limited quantities. $150.00 (BK01669)
(12) Meteors: This is the effect that Juan Mayoral introduced at the 2009 FISM convention in Bejing. Top names in magic called it the highlight of the convention. There are already inferior rip offs out of this item but make sure you buy the original and the best - Juan Mayoral’s Meteors. Beware of the inferior rip offs."
Produce a point of very intense light that seems to be resting on the palm of your hand. This Meteor will pass from one hand to the other in different ways, and will even pass through the hand, from the palm to the back. Finally, it will appear in the middle of your forehead! The possibilities of this routine are infinite, and your hands can be seen empty at all times.
Can be done surrounded.
Can be performed anytime during your act.
Repeat with no reset.
Perfect for close up, stage or street.
No assistant needed; one person operation.
You can create your own routine.
No secrets moves, no misdirection needed, everything looks like real magic.
All necessary items included.
Uses a small regular 12 volt alkaline battery, which is included. Good for about 15 shows before replacing.
This is not a short magic trick or fast trick, this is a full magic routine.
If you want to feel the real magic, Meteors is your trick. $499.00 (60.1623)
And that’s this week’s Official Start Of The Holiday Season Hotlist. We have included some brand new items, and some items from the past few weeks that you should really be aware of as the holidays approach. I hope you enjoy it!
As always, we are so very thankful for all of you, our legion of loyal customers. We know that life can be busy, busy, busy. And, we appreciate your taking time out to spend with us. Whether you visit us online at www.magicfact.com or in person in our brick and mortar store at 102 North Street in Medford, we do love your company!