Greetings from all of us at Hank Lee’s Magic Factory. Or, should I say from the Award Winning Hank Lee’s Magic Factory! No one was more surprised than I when we received notice that we had been chosen Medford’s Best Magic Shop for 2009! The picture of the plaque is right below. Pretty cool, eh. Until you start to think about it. Know how many magic shops there are in Medford? I’ll give you a hint. One. Us. So, it would be hard to be anything but the best when you’re the only one. That having been said, I personally think that we would be the best no matter how many other shops there were. Right?
This is big news! We have been mentioning the html version of the email Newsletter vs. the text-only version for some time now. For those of you who already receive the html version, you know how much better it is. Pictures, links to products, etc. Just a much cooler format. So, we have been working on how to get this version into everyone’s In-Box. And, we have finally solved the problem. It looks like we have been able to switch everyone over to the html version. I am sure that there are some people, especially if you are on a dial up connection, who would prefer the text-only format. Not a problem. Just let us know and we will be happy to change you back to text-only. For the rest of you, enjoy the new format!
This weekend, Lucas and I are heading back to Martha’s Vineyard for, hopefully, some fun in the sun! While I am away for a couple of days, I hope you enjoy this week’s excitement!
Quick ‘N’ Big 24 Hour Sales Event: For the next 24 hours, from the very moment you receive this email until Saturday morning at 7:00 EDT, everything (well, almost everything) is on sale at 30% off the retail price. All you need to do is enter the special code QUICKNBIG in the Discount Coupon Box of the online checkout at www.magicfact.com and we will automatically deduct 30% from your order total. If you are calling your order in to the Toll Free Order Line at 800 874 7400, FAXing your order to us at 781 395 2034 or emailing us your order to email@example.com make sure and mention the special code so you can save a huge 30%!
Now, here are the rules:
• The minimum order to use the 30% off discount is $30.00.
• The 30% is deducted from the retail price of the item. No intermediate discounts (such as HankoGram pricing) may be applied. In the case of sets, such as DVDs and Videos, the 30% is deducted from the retail price of each item and not from the set price.
• We cannot combine offers.
• Certain items, due to contractual restrictions, are not included in this sale. All Joe Porper items, Viking/CW items, Kennedy Enterprises items, Colin Rose items, Mike Caveney Books, Johnson Products items, MagicSmith items, Mikame Craft items, Greater Magic Teach-In DVDs, One Of A Kind Collectors' Items and a few other items are not included in the sale.
• If you place an order for an item that is not on this list or not noted in our online catalog, but is excluded from the sale, we will let you know before processing your order.
• Coupons and Reward Points may not be used as part of this sales event.
• As the discount is automatically generated, you must put the special code QUICKNBIG in the Discount Coupon Box and nowhere else. You may have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the box, but it is there. If you are not sure how to do this, please phone your order in to our toll-free order line at 800 874 7400, and we will take care of you. We cannot offer discounts retroactively.
And that's it. It could not be easier. So, get your order together and save yourself some serious money! But, act quickly. The sale positively ends Saturday morning at 7:00 AM, Eastern Time
Now, let’s take a look at this week’s Hotlist!
Magic Popcorn Machine: From the mind of George Iglesias, comes this new and fresh effect. The first appearing Magic Popcorn Machine!
Show an empty box, drop some real or invisible popcorn kernels inside, wave your hand on top, say the magic words and suddenly a loud sound of popping popcorn starts!
Five to ten seconds later, all the popcorn comes out, overfilling the box. You can offer the popcorn to your audience! The popcorn is really real!
Perform this at a Birthday Parties, and be kid's favorite magician!
Great for MC!
Perform it in your Comedy Shows, Trade Shows, Motivational Speeches and much, much more!
Relaxed Impossibilities – Stephen Minch & Ken Krenzel: It’s what happens when an acclaimed master of card magic sets out to explore how advanced sleight-of-hand can be made far easier to attain through a perceptive study of economy of action married to efficient placement of cards. By applying a lifetime of study and ability, world-respected expert Ken Krenzel has developed innovative methods that will place techniques long perceived as extremely difficult into the hands of card magicians possessing average skills. Such advanced sleights as palms, steals, switches, side steals, bottom deals and top changes, sleights previously used by only the most dedicated and gifted card technicians, are ingeniously modified and re-imagined to put them into your performing repertoire within a few weeks, rather than years.
After providing a variety of sleights capable of wide utility, Krenzel delivers a collection of tricks and routines that apply these tools and others. The result is magic that ranges from eye-popping visuals to logic-defying card mysteries. Within the pages of this book, you will find material designed for those who desire to broaden their skills and give their audiences an experience they've never had before.
• Facial - A Wild-Card printing effect like no other.
• Fan World - A new approach to the Out-of-This-World effect in which the deck may be shuffled at any point during the procedure.
• Strange Hummer - Anyone shuffles the deck (which may be borrowed), deals off ten random cards and mixes them face up and face down under the table, where no one can see what is being done. The mixing procedure becomes more and more random, until everyone must admit you have no control over it. While the packet is still out of sight under the table, you announce the number of cards that are face up and face down, which proves to be correct.
• AUTOMACAAN - The Any-Card-at-Any-Number effect is given three new treatments, including one in which the deck may be borrowed and you never touch the cards.
These are just four of the more than thirty new items in this book. All are thoroughly taught, aided by over 170 expert illustrations by Earle Oakes.
254 pages. Hardbound with Dust Jacket. $40.00 (BK01663)
Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond: Do you remember the first time you saw Paul Curry's Out of This World performed? Do you remember how badly it fooled you? Now you can own a book full of such magic by the only man who could imagine it. In Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond you will find the original version of Out of This World, which some still consider the best of the many variations that have been devised. You will also find all the other Curry classics, Touch, The Sliding Knot, Open Prediction, The Color-changing Deck, Never in a Lifetime, The Power of Thought, Probability Zero and IOU.
But these are just the beginning. Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond contains original Curry card sleights, including his turnover change, and almost seventy tricks and routines that would have brought back that feeling of complete amazement Out of This World aroused in you - had you seen them performed before you read their secrets. Now you can arouse the same sense of astonishment in others, when you perform the other-worldly magic of Paul Curry. A long-overdue hardcover collection of one of magic's greatest minds and some of magic's most astonishing effects. Thoroughly explained and clearly illustrated, this book will take your performances and your audiences to other worlds. 77 items with cards, mentalism, ropes and more. 400 pages. (BK01193)
Expert Card Routines DVD – Jack Carpenter: This DVD features some of Jack’s most visually stunning and commercial card routines. The plots and methods are innovative and well constructed. His magic also has a dramatic effect on audiences.
Routines performed and explained:
An Impulsive Premonition: A thought of card is seen to be the only red backed card in a blue backed deck. It then visually and startlingly changes places with a blue backed card.
A Dance For The Devious: Four Queens vanish one at a time and are then reproduced in a flash display.
O'Henry's Return: An amazing progressive four Queen assembly with multiple kicker endings. First the Queens end up under the spectator’s hand instead of the expected leader packet and instantaneously vanish and appear back where they started with one Queen in each packet.
Quantum Theory (Mysterious): A truly amazing routine were a spectator is handed a Quantum Card that is held in full view. A second spectator selects and signs a card that is lost in the deck. The four queens now come into play. The two black queens are placed around the Quantum Card and magically change places with the red Queens while in the spectator’s hand. But now the Quantum Card is seen to be the signed selection.
A Potent Presage: Three random cards are removed from a shuffled deck. The cards are lost face up into the deck by a second spectator. The deck is split where the cards were inserted and the cards next to them turn out to be their mates. The card case is now shown to contain a card – amazingly the card now matches the top cards of the three packets.
Pocket Interchange: Four Aces are signed and four Kings are placed in your pocket. One at a time the Aces change places with the Kings. Just when you think it is over the Kings now change into the Aces and the Kings are now found in different pockets.
These are advanced card routines that use advanced sleight-of-hand. Each routine explanation is a mini course in advanced techniques and construction. $34.95 (DVD01031)
Reel Magic Quarterly Issue 12 – Eugene Burger:
Continuum returns with Andrew Pinard talking to Eugene Burger about making your magic important and more.
Small Things, Big Difference - Jon Armstrong
the finer points of the Hindu Shuffle and the Hofzinser Spread force
Try This At Home - Garrett Thomas
Discover the magical moments within your magic
Kid Show FUNdamentals - David Kaye a.k.a. Silly Billy
Ways to handle a broken wand
Simon Said It! - Simon Lovell
How magicians do — and do not — connect with audiences
Tricks of the Trade - David Regal
Tricks that make him go WOW!
Choice Cuts - Wayne Kawamoto
reviews four comedy magic DVDs; one of which he doesn’t recommend
"Strike 3" - James Prince
"Signed, Sealed, Delivered" - Gary Kurtz
”No More Card Tricks” - Jeff Prace
Breather Card Control - Troy Hoosier
Blazing Color Change - Johnny Blaze
Every Cloud Has a Silver Zoso - Eric Jones
Improved Ultimate Brainwave: The latest from Bob Solari, and it’s a real fooler!
Place a blue-backed card case on the table.
Ask a spectator to merely think of any card but not to announce it.
Remove the blue deck from its case. Slowly spread the cards face up between your hands, asking the spectator to simply touch the face of their thought-of card.
The thought-of card is never announced by the spectator.
The touched card is removed from the spread and placed face up on the table.
Turn the remainder of the deck face down and spread it on the table showing all blue backs.
Turn over the thought-of card showing it to have a red back!
The description of this effect is 100% accurate!
The cards remain face up throughout the selection.
The spectator never announces the name of their thought-of card.
No force of any kind is used. They can think of any card. There are no restrictions!
Special deck does most of the work for you. Once you use this method, you will never use another Brainwave deck! $16.00 (30.1434)
Complete Stage Hypnosis Training Course – 8 DVD Set - Richard Nongard: Do you want to learn how to hypnotize people professionally? Would you like to know how to do a complete stage hypnosis show, just like the stars in Las Vegas? Richard Nongard's Complete Stage Hypnosis Training Course is now available on 8 full-length DVDs! This is the exact same start-to-finish content that Richard teaches at his live seminars -- except this version was specifically designed and produced for the at-home student. If you are looking to perfect your existing skills - or even if you have never hypnotized anyone or have no stage hypnosis training at all - this instructional set will teach you exactly how to do what, when, and why.
Here are just 15 of the valuable things you will learn:
• The 8 biggest blunders that can kill a show, and how to avoid them.
• The structure of a successful stage hypnosis show, no matter the venue.
• How to master your pre-talk language and get participants to volunteer and fill the seats on stage.
• How to hypnotize anyone - individuals or large or small groups - on stage, with an effective, professional stage show induction - like the one Richard Nongard has performed on the Strip in Las Vegas - and what to do with those who resist induction.
• How to start each show with a powerful demonstration of hypnosis to wow the audience.
• The "transition" - the secret to moving from the induction into the first skit, without losing participants.
• How to interact with and use the audience while managing your volunteers on stage.
• What kinds of skits to perform when, and how to structure them, with annotated clip demonstrations from live performances.
• How to please the audience by making participants speak and understand foreign languages, forget their own names and experience hallucinations, and how to easily incorporate props into any stage hypnosis show.
• Understand the importance and function of stage lighting and sound. Richard will show you exactly what equipment you need - and don't need - to perform a show at any venue.
• How to do an all-adult show to cash in on this lucrative club market, as well as G-rated family shows and everything in between.
• Stage hypnosis safety - a comprehensive discussion. This information can help minimize your liability.
• Where to buy performance insurance, how to handle contracts, and how to make sure you get paid.
• How to get gigs at comedy clubs, corporate events, reunions, colleges, high schools, and earn big money on door-deals in your own community. Richard will even tell you the secrets of getting your very own Las Vegas Stage Hypnosis Show! Remember - You can learn all you want about hypnosis, but if you don't book shows, you won't earn any money.
• How you and a friend or spouse can do a two-hypnotist stage show, for double the fun.
Many stage hypnosis video training programs are poor recordings made from the back of a classroom, with endless hours of watching others practice in small groups, perhaps infused with footage from shows performed twenty years ago. This 8-disc DVD set, however, is based on content from Richard Nongard's live training classes, but it has been produced specifically for the at-home learner. There is no wasted time and no unedited footage or discussion tangents meaningful only to those who actually attended the live class.
As a master hypnotist, a 25+ year on-stage entertainer, and an educator who has taught literally thousands of training classes to both brand new beginners and seasoned professionals, Richard Nongard knows how to impart the information you need to actually perform stage hypnosis professionally. He will guide you step-by-step, with embedded video of recent performances, and teach you exactly what you need to know.
In addition to the easy to follow instructional DVD set, you will also receive access to:
Complete stage hypnosis course notes
Word-for word pre-talk scripts, so you can study exactly what to say the minute you get on stage to create a powerful opening and insure that people want to volunteer.
A complete transcript of Richard Nongard's Las Vegas Stage Show Induction patter, word-for-word, so you will know exactly how to be successful at hypnotizing people in a group on stage.
Follow-up support. Ask Richard questions anytime and interact with other hypnotists.
If you are ready to make money as a stage hypnotist and enjoy the stardom afforded to those who can perform stage hypnosis professionally, this course is for you! $299.00 (DVD01033)
Expert Gambling Routines DVD – Jack Carpenter: Jack Carpenter is one of card magic's best-kept secrets. This DVD features some of his most visually stunning and commercial card routines and the routines that comprise his fantastic gambling act. The plots and methods are innovative and well constructed. You will learn very flashy and skillful looking routines that feature solid presentations.
Expert Card Routines: An Impulsive Premonition, A Dance For The Devious, O'Henry's Return, Quantum Theory (Mysterious), A Potent Presage, and Pocket Interchange.
Expert Gambling Routines: Steppin' Out with Molly, The J.C. Pop Out, Four At Once, The Sweep Control, Riffle & Roll, Nine Angry Men, The D.C. Hustle, Nova Royale and how to execute natural looking second deals.
These routines use advanced sleight-of-hand. Each routine explanation is a mini course in advanced techniques and construction. $35.00 (DVD01030)
And, that’s this week’s Award Winning Hotlist. Something for all. I hope you will find some time to spend with us either online at www.magicfact.com or in person at 102 North Street in Medford. And, I really hope you will take advantage of this week’s QUICKNBIG Sales event!