Greetings from all of us at Hank Lee’s Magic Factory. Last week’s Conclave announcement resulted in a ton of emails and calls to me, Hank Lee. As expected, everyone was saddened to hear that this year’s event had been postponed. And, lots of people wanted to make sure that it was not a health issue, and that everyone in the family was OK. Thankfully, it is not a health issue. The family is fine, knock on wood. It was other life events that caused the postponement until next year. But, we are planning a big one for 2013!
Meanwhile, life continues to rush along. We are already planning our next trip to visit Lucas in Oberlin. We’ll be there the first full weekend in April, for Lucas’ Senior Recital. As life would have it, it is also the first day of Passover. So, Bonnie is busy cooking and planning and planning and cooking. She’s going to have the first Seder in Oberlin. Could be a lot of fun!
We’re also planning to visit Aron the Elder Son. Turns out it will be very easy. Just a quick trip up the stairs and a knock on his door. Aron, like so many college graduates, is back at home while trying to find a job. I know he would rather be living on his own. But, truth be told, I kind of like having him around!
As you know, lately we have been running all kinds of fun sales events. And, when these events run, you just can’t believe how much stuff goes out the door. Sometimes, it takes a little while for us to restock. So, you might have to wait just a little bit for your order. But, considering that you are saving so much, waiting a little bit seems a small price to pay! Enough said.
Lots of new stuff coming in this week. And, a great Excitement for you. Check it out!
ST. PATRICK’S DAY SALES EVENT: Yes, I know it's not quite St. Patrick’s Day, but we decided to start early this year!
It’s the luck of the Irish. The green beer. The Lucky Charms. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. That’s it. The pot of gold, no rainbow required! For the next 5 days, from the very moment you receive this email until Tuesday, March 13th at midnight, everything (well, almost everything) is on sale at 35% off the retail price. All you need to do is enter the special code POTOFGOLD in the Discount Coupon Box of the online checkout at www.magicfact.com and we will automatically deduct 35% from your order total. If you are calling your order in to the Toll Free Order Line at 800 874 7400, FAXing your order to us at 781 395 2034 or emailing us your order to email@example.com make sure and mention the special code so you can save a huge 35%!
Here Are The Rules:
• The minimum order to get the 35% discount is $35.00.
• The 35% is deducted from the retail price of the item. No intermediate discounts (such as HankoGram pricing) may be applied. In the case of sets, such as DVDs and Videos, the discount is deducted from the retail price of each item and not from the set price.
• We cannot combine offers.
• Certain items, due to contractual restrictions, are not included in this sale. All Viking/CW items, Kennedy Enterprises items, Colin Rose items, Mike Caveney Books, theory11 items, Johnson Products items, MagicSmith items, Greater Magic Teach-In DVDs, One Of A Kind Collectors' Items and a few other items are not included in the sale.
• If you place an order for an item that is not on this list or not noted in our online catalog, but is excluded from the sale, we will let you know before processing your order.
• Promotional Gift Certificates, Coupons and Reward Points may not be used as part of this sales event.
• As the discount is automatically generated, you must put the special code POTOFGOLD in the Discount Coupon Box and nowhere else. You may have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the box, but it is there. If you are not sure how to do this, please phone your order in to our toll-free order line at 800 874 7400, and we will take care of you. We cannot offer discounts retroactively.
And that's it. It could not be easier. So, get your order together and save yourself some serious money! But, act quickly. The sale positively ends Tuesday at midnight, Eastern Time. Enjoy!
Now, let’s take a look at this week’s Hotlist!
(1) Micro Psychic: One of the hits of the 2012 Blackpool Convention.
See why Micro Psychic has received rave reviews and comments from Charlie Frye, Michael Weber, Gaetan Bloom and many other top names in magic.
A spectator screws a nut onto a bolt, about half way up. You hold the nut/bolt at your fingertips. Your hands are absolutely empty.
Suddenly the nut starts to rotate and unwind off the bolt and finally drops off the end.
It looks like some ghostly power is unscrewing the nut and bolt. It can be done visually or under a cup or handkerchief
Here are a few considerations:
* Nothing to hide in your hands.
* No complicated body hook ups.
* Can be immediately repeated as many times as you want.
* Fully examinable before and after the effect.
* Easy battery replacement.
* Uses a battery commonly sold in stores worldwide.
* Six months warranty.
* No clothing limitation. You can wear short-sleeves. You don't even have to be wearing clothes!
* No switches are required. In fact, no sleight of hand is needed.
* No suspicious moves.
* Audience themselves screw the nut onto the bolt and you can hand the bolt and nut to them immediately after the effect.
* The gimmick is self-contained within the bolt and nut yet your spectators can freely handle and examine the props.
To see Micro Psychic in action is to see a modern marvel of engineering. To play with or to use Micro Psychic is to fall in love with it. It's a joy to use, to watch, and to perform. Micro Psychic may be one of the most amazing magic inventions you will see.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
Coming in stock very soon! Pre-order now and we will pay the shipping!
(2) The Fallen – Jim Critchlow: Jim Critchlow is well known as the creator of the best-selling effects White Star & Til Death. Now joined by Tony McMylor, he has created his finest work to date. The Fallen, an absolutely incredible piece of theatre which can be presented in almost any performing situation. Jim Critchlow and Tony McMylor have taken many months to develop probably one of the magic world's most amazing multi-revelation effects, which is ideal for bizarrists, mentalists, storytellers, psychics and the working magician
Respectfully taking the First World War as its subject, it uses authentic looking props. This poignant, thought provoking piece of theatre is easy to learn and suitable for close-up, parlor or stage performances.
Do not expect whoops and hollers at the finale of the effect - stunned silence is what you will get. Little memory work needed and a very powerful tool indeed.
Using method one, you will be able to pluck eight, yes eight pieces of information apparently from thin air: name, rank, service number, regiment, the date when either missing in action or killed in action, date of birth and nationality.
Method two is even better, you can divine nine pieces of information. Truly an incredible effect.
Includes instructional DVD, props and pack of photo cards.
(3) Building Your Own Illusions – Six DVD Set – Gerry Frenette: No professional builder has ever shared all of his secret techniques, until now!
This 6 DVD set is a complete course in Illusion Building.
Everything is explained in detail from expert Illusion builder Gerry Frenette
All of the information you need to build your own Illusions and box effects!
* How to do everything from driving a screw to advanced building techniques in mechanics and engineering
* How to get a great paint finish without spray equipment
* How to build illusions right in your home (in a small space)
* Complete video instructions for building 3 illusion projects
* Dozens of tips, ideas and techniques using proven, stage-tested measurements
* What materials and tools to use
* How to make your illusion as deceptive as possible
* Everything you need to make small stage props as well
5 DVD's packed full of information, plus a 6th bonus disc containing drawings, blueprints, documents, and photos.
What will you create?
Coming in stock very soon! Pre-order now and we’ll pay the shipping!
"All of the stuff you need to know if you want to make an illusion that looks great. Highly recommended." - Paul Daniels
"Gerry Frenette's course is, without question, the best buy ever offered to magicians who are both performers and prop builders." - Dick Gustafson
"Whether you are a magic hobbyist, amateur, semi pro or professional entertainer, this mammoth video course is a must have for your library. - Hans Zahn, Canada
(4) PK Blista: Do you like PK Ring Magic, but don't like wearing a ring
Well, PK Blista is a PK utility device that allows you to perform incredible effects seemingly empty handed. It's silent, virtually invisible and tiny enough to take up no pocket space. If James Bond used a PK gimmick, this would be the one! With a magnetic strength comparable to a PK Ring, the PK Blista has the added advantage of being significantly quieter in use, opening up a whole new world of performance possibilities!
Each PK Blista:
* Contains a very powerful neodymium magnet with an incredible pull strength (these little guys are seriously strong)
* Has 3mm of rubber coating dulling any unwanted loud 'Clunks' and 'Thuds'
* Has generic flesh coloring
* Has no sizing issues
* Is easy to ditch and apply
In addition, join your host and creative thinker Liam Montier on the accompanying 22 minute DVD as he discusses the gimmick in more detail
Not only will he teach you methods for ringing the gimmick in and out and handling it in a totally natural manner, he will explain the following awesome (and easy to do effects):
Coin in Bottle - Borrowed coin penetrates through the base of a soda bottle.
Coin Thru Hand - A marked coin vanishes from the back of your hand, only to reappear within your clenched fist along with some previously discarded pocket change.
The Mental Bag - Five spectators each randomly select a coin from a bag. You use your mentalist powers to predict who has taken which coin.
Coming in stock very soon. Pre-order now and we’ll pay the shipping!
(5) Burn Notice: A unique principle that allows you to reveal what a spectator is thinking with simple, everyday items. Your spectator thinks of a playing card, an object, or anything else. You pull a receipt out of your wallet, touch it to the flame of a lighter, and the spectator's thought instantly appears on the receipt! The receipt can be given out as a memorable souvenir!
On the Burn Notice DVD, Christopher Wiehl teaches you how to prepare any ordinary receipt so that you're ready to perform at a moment's notice.
The DVD also includes a bonus pdf file with a specially-designed receipt that you can print at home in order to perform additional effects.
These effects can either be done as a lead-up to Burn Notice, or performed on their own. Burn Notice is practical, visual, and easy-to-do. You'll never leave home without it!
Over 15 Effects Possible
Over 30 Minutes of Instruction
Props and PDF File Included
Note: this is a non-discountable item.
(6) Vex – Dee Christopher: In Vex you will learn how to appear to bend borrowed coins with your mind.
Since Geller popularized coin bending demonstrations in the 70’s, magicians and mentalists have strived to create the most believable coin bending effects possible.
On this DVD you will learn three very different coin-bending effects that require very little set up, no gimmicks and are eye-poppingly visual.
You will learn:
- The Swivel Bend: A no-switch coin bend with incredible visuals in which the coin can be signed!
- The Surface Bend: Place a coin on the back of your hand, with a rub it starts to bend upwards around your fingers!
- Hallucination: A phenomenally visual coin bend requiring very little skill. In Hallucination, you can immediately have the coin become straight once again, allowing the spectators to question whether what they just saw really happened, or if it was just a hallucination!
Not just three variations on an effect, these are three completely different methods.
Also included on the DVD is a companion eBook which includes essays on improving your performances as well as the explanation of Chris Lafferty's Attack isolated coin bend.
"These coin bends look really, really great!" - Morgan Strebler
(7) Fifth Card – Brian Caswell: Request that your spectator relax and enter into a short visualization experiment. When she feels comfortable, ask her to close her eyes and imagine she is walking down a long corridor. There's a door at the end of the corridor. She reaches it, opens the door and enters a plain looking room. It is sparsely furnished. The walls are a pale color. There are no windows. Ahead of her, stuck to the wall, is a long row of playing cards. She sits down on an austere wooden chair.
Tell her to open her eyes and look at you. You stand holding the deck of cards. Ask her to call out the row of cards, exactly as she sees them in her mind.
She calls, let's say - two of spades, jack of diamonds, three of clubs, four of diamonds, nine of clubs, seven of hearts.
Remove the cards one by one from the deck, laying them in a face up row on the table, to recreate the picture she is seeing inside her head.
After six or seven cards you stop.
Eerily, it is precisely as you had pictured it!
But that's preposterous. How could you possibly know?
Because, you explain, you've been inside the room in her mind ahead of her! You begin to turn the cards face down. This was the first card she saw, this was the second card she saw. You continue turning down the cards. You skip the fifth card and turn the sixth face down. Then you return to the fifth.
Naturally enough, you also knew that no one would believe you.
And that is why you left a little message. Turn over the fifth card, and on the back is written: THE FIFTH CARD WILL BE THIS ONE - THE NINE OF CLUBS.
This is a really commercial effect. It's easy to do, has an instant reset and a great mental presentation.
Note: This is a non-discountable item.
(8) 1805: Have a freely selected card and a coin both signed by the spectator.
The signed card is then mixed into the deck and the deck placed inside the card case.
Put the coin on top of the card case and make it vanish!
Open the card case and take out the cards.
In between the cards is a coin. Not just any coin, but the signed coin that was previously placed on top of the card case!
It doesn’t stop there. The card beneath the signed coin is the spectator’s signed card!
This is ‘1805’.
1805 is the year that the first Lost and Found office was established in Paris. It’s the perfect name for this trick; you ‘lose’ a coin, then find it - in the most amazing way!
A DVD with full explanations
A custom deck
Special gimmicked coins
And that’s this week’s Everyone Into The Green Beer Hotlist. A little early, but, really, how can you be early for green beer?
We’ve got a wagon load of new stuff for you, so take your time checking it out.
As always, I thank you, each and every one, for finding the time to visit with us, whether it’s online at www.magicfact.com or in person at 102 North Street in Medford. Either way, we love the company!